how do i 'stock' my pantry to keep from grocery shopping so much?

i want to only have to shop to get things like milk and stuff.... how can i stock our pantry so hubby and i aren't at the grocery store 2x a week? what are some things that keep your pantry stocked?

Favorite Answer

BOGO (buy one get one free) sales are the best way to stock up. I have been doing that for about 4-5 months now. I only run to the store to get milk , bread , eggs etc..once a week. But if you do the BOGO in about a month or two you will be stock piled pretty good. We have a family of four an it has worked out pretty good for us so far. Buy at least four of each. For example apple juice, you buy four of them an it can last you a good bit. Sometimes what I do is I shop get my BOGO, then the next day go back an get the stuff we can really use. The reason being is that they limit what you can get sometimes. So I just go back an get more! Hope this helped! Good luck!

Planning ahead is the key to less shopping trips. Start off with a preliminary list of the meals you will be making or wanting for the week, or two weeks as the case may be. Eat whatever you want, but write a thorough list. Then break your list down into what items you will need to make those meals and don't be afraid to buy a bit more than you'll really need. That way you will start to build up some reserves of things. Keep in mind the reserve items you keep will either need to be frozen and used soon, or they will have to be dry ingredients that can be stored in your pantry, well covered and marked clearly.

Some items you may notice may need to be picked up the day you need them but, this should only be an exception to your menu....For instance salad greens will not hold for very long and need to be used quicker than say breads or cheeses.

Watching for advertised savings on seasonal items, they can be used in your menu planning and that can help you utilize coupons and save money on those meals.

Basically it is all planning and prior planning can help save money and trips to your grocery store.

I would suggest buying things that don't spoil. Get things in cans (soup, corn, beans etc.). Certain items such as bread can be frozen to prevent them from spoiling (just take it out to thaw before you want to use it or remove the bag and microwave it). There are also meals you can make ahead of time and keep in the freezer until you are ready to use them.

Another suggestion might be to buy in bulk. Buy things that won't spoil and you'll have them when you need them. Just remember to rotate your stock every so often (if you buy a new case of something, use up the old stuff first).

• Dew

well it will take a few weeks to get to that point but you can do it.I go on line every week and look up the Meijers and Kroger and food lion add and I write down all the sale prices for the things I use.Then I also get the Columbus dispatch and cut out coupons,But only the stuff am going to use,Then I go to wal-mart and take my sale items prices from the other stores and wal-mart gives me them for there prices and I use my Coupon.I also go to our local Aldies store and they have Great prices on canned things.We also just bought a quarter of a Beef and in oct we will buy a half a hog.That saves us Money on meat at the store and last at least 6 months.I planted a garden this year and I am going to can green beans and spaghetti sauce and mild peppers.I also have lettuce and onions already to eat from my Garden.You could also go to Sams club and buy in bulk.

Source(s): Mom of 3

use a menu listing like the school system and go shopping for the most needed items once a month such as flour, sugar, salt. pasta, etc. It helps me out and I never have to make return trips to the store for forgotten items because my menus contain everything from entree to desserts =) saves on over buying too

Justina

I keep five pounds of rice in sealed container, dry spaghetti and macaroni, a couple jars of spaghetti sauce, or canned spiced tomato that I can add powered mix to, I keep cans of diced tomato to add to stews. I keep a couple cans of mixed fruit for garnishing cottage cheese, cereal, including oatmeal, pancake mix and syrup, a couple boxes of mac and cheese, canned tuna, ] a variety of canned soups, and beef and chicken broth for homemade soup bases, I also keep a box or two of various types of cracker,( one of my cats loves crackers as treats)

I have canned beets, but prefer fresh or frozen vegetable for most things. I keep a couple pounds of flour in the freezer (safe from bugs) sugar, coffee, creamer, I used to keep canned pinto beans, or mexican beans for chili, but since I can't eat it anymore I stopped. You also can buy dried peas, beans etc for cooking.

I have a couple cake mixes, frostings, and oil, I usually keep both Olive oil and a small container of Cannola oil on hand. I keep a jar of unopened pickles in the cupboard , ditto: a jar of strawberry jam, and some honey, sometimes I buy extra peanut butter and keep a jar on hand. I keep a box of rasins, and crasins and a bag of chocolate chips on hand so I can make my own trail mix by adding peanuts or cashews. Sometimes I keep other dried fruit on hand.

I store my spices separately but I keep vanilla, sea salt, dried peppers, and Mrs Dash with garlic on hand at all times. I have a selection of 'dried dipping herbs' to mix with olive oil on french or fancy breads.

one thing that doesnt go bad for months at least is dried pasta - like boxes of penne, spaghetti and stuff. you can stock up on those.

also, buy a bigger bag of rice than usual

Here is my shopping list of what I try to keep on hand

OIL'S - veg oil, olive oil, pam spray

STAPLES-sugar,flour,spices,packets different gravy mix, pasta's, creme soups(for cooking)stove top dressing, instant potato's,diff rices, noodle side dishes,syrup,beans,can green beans,baked beans,ketchup,mayo,salad dressing's, cereals,jiffy cornbread mix,italian bread crumbs,tuna,can raviolis,can spaghetti,barbq sauce,spaghetti sauce,Bisquick,peanut butter & jellies,cake mixes,frostings,cookie mix,pudding mixes,graham cracker pie shells,cookies,lipton onion soup mix(cooking)can fruit,velveeta cheese,fried onions,minced garlic,chili sauce(cooking),A1 sauce,teri sauce,soy sauce,beef & chicken base,honey,green chili,salsa,can chili,salsa verde, tortia's,taco shells,bottle water & juices, sodas, tea, paper towels,napkins,toilet paper,coffee filters,foil,saran wrap,baggies,garbage bags,crackers,chips,pickles,refried beans,

DAIRY,FROZEN MEATS,FROZEN LUNCH MEATS,FROZEN VEG,FRESH FRUIT & VEGGIES,CHEESE,

I can always make a meal at my house and this is the basic's. I shop every two to three weeks. Hope this helps you two!