Guitar Repair Question!?

I am having some guitar issues. I need to do a few repairs. But I am not sure what to buy. Maybe you can

help. For a more detailed perspective, ake a look at some pictures (listed below).

My guitar is equipped with a steel nut. Unfortunately, the slot for my low e string has widened for some

reason and it won't hold my string. So it just kind of dangles there. What kind of nut should I buy for this

guitar? I have seen many but I am not sure what to get... Also, how would I remove it to replace it?

I am missing one of the screws that keeps my pickup held in place. What size screw do I need to buy? It is

a rather long screw.

The tuning peg for my high e string is missing the ring around the bottom of it? Where can I buy this part?

Thank you very much if you can help!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/nekromaniti...

Favorite Answer

Before anything else, you must first consider between the cost of repairs or purchasing a new guitar. The Yamaha EG112 is normally sold as a complete package known as the Yamaha EG112 Gigmaker (see: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?cpd=0OEY&d... ) The package costing $ 149.99 consists of a Yamaha GA10, gig bag, guitar strap, extra set of guitar strings, string winder, guitar picks, electronic tuner, guitar method book, Yamaha Guitar QuickStart Instructional DVD and of course the Yamaha EG112 guitar. If I were to estimate the cost of guitar only, less all other products included in the package relative to the $149.99 total price tag, the price of the guitar should be somewhere around $79-$119.

Replacing the nut on a guitar requires a certain degree of technical know-how since it's very easy to inadverdently chip the fretboard causing more damage or if you do not know the proper procedures and set the string action wrong, it can cause buzzes and/or intonation problems . You will also need the correct pre-requisite tools like a strobe tuner, exacto knives, different types of wood files (among other tools and materials) to perform the job efficiently or otherwise you will spend more time figuring out "how" to do something as opposed to actually "doing" it. If you want the nut proffesionally repaired, it should set you back about $15-25 + setup fee of $45-75.

Brand new guitars like a Brownsville ST cost $79.99, Brownsville IS1200 $89.99. Squier Bullet, Dean Vendetta XM, Ibanez GRX40Z, Epihone LP Junior each cost only $99.

Speaking with 25 years of guitar experience, a new guitar will probably make more sense, cost-wise and save you a lot of aggravation.

Source(s): Experience is the best teacher.

O.k. you have some work to do but it won't be a big deal if you want to spend the time to fix it. First of all it appears that you want to repair a Yamaha guitar. These are made in Japan and the original parts will be almost impossible to find. My recommendation is to go to your local guitar shop and chat with the guitar tech to see if he has got any old parts laying around that he can sell you to fix the instrument. This is about the only place that you may find the part for your tuning key or the screw for your pickup. I have worked in machine shops most of my life and have been able to make my own parts so I guess I'm lucky there. I've tried to locate them myself and not had any luck so the tech is probably your best bet. As far as the nut goes I prefer a bone nut or graphite if available. You need to ask the tech for the best way to remove it because on these guitars they are very tightly glued into place and you may damage the headstock if not careful. Sorry not much there but I hope this gets you going in the right direction. The link below may help you a bit.

If you cannot find a long pickup mount screw from a music store tech, try McMaster-Carr catalog - they sell just about everything.

The tuning peg ferrule is available from music stores or parts suppliers online, but usually come in a package of six. I have some Fender ferrules someplace that might work. I'll let you know.

As posted above, replacing a nut is not to be done without a good backup plan to replace the guitar - but I have a possibly solution: Go to a heavier string gauge, from 9s to 11s, and get flatwounds. Also, check your neck bow, and after you change strings, redo you intonation. Heavier strings also vibrate 'bigger', so you'll have to raise the bridge adjustments and possibly add another spring to the tremolo. It'll be a little harder to play, but may improve the sound, and you'll have saved $100 or so.

• Ashley

1

There are actually a lot of books available on this subject. Go to your local music store and ask if they have any, if not they can order them for you

umm im no expert i might be wrong but have u tightened the strings lately

"all the best stuff is made in japan"

-Michael J. Fox

yeah right