What should I do? I want to date, but every time I think about it, it brings up my shortcomings and I get sad.

I'm 20. Quite shy (even more so around girls I like) and after years of never having a date (except for one which didn't go well) a complete lack of confidence. How do I do it? I always assume that a girl would say no, or just say yes out of pity then stand me up (I've been stood up twice). I've asked for 3 dates, got "yes" as the answer each time, but was stood up twice.

Favorite Answer

You can't let past failures haunt you for the rest of your life. As for being nervous about being turned down that's a risk that everyone takes when they ask someone out. What you can do to ease this shyness is try not to think about it as a date, think of it as asking a good friend to hang out. To maybe get the hang of going out with a girl maybe go out with a friend that is a girl. A girl that maybe you have known for a long time and that you are just friends with. Suggest going out to eat or a movie its how any relationship ship starts. You forget your fear of being turned down and just ask "what are you doing this weekend? do you have any plans this saturday night?" do you think ______ will be a good movie, would you like to watch it with me? best of luck

Maybe you need to change your personality. Or change how you look.