how do you get sour milk odor out of carpet?

Favorite Answer

try arm and hammer baking soda in the area and then vacuum it up

I had a pumpkin that rotted on carpet. Nothing that i used to get the odor out helped for more than a few hrs. I called a professional carpet service and they were willing to sell me a small bottle of an odor removal product. I used it many times over a period of 2 weeks and finally when the carpet backing became soaked,the odor went away. It wasn't fun and didn't seem like it was going to work at first. Also there is a product you can find in pet stores. It is called Simple Solution Stain and Odor Remover. It works on food products (organic) odors and is save for carpets.

There is a wonderful product that is sold in pet superstores. It is an enzyme based solution that is meant to remove urine smells but you can use it to remove any kind of smell from the carpet. It is completely harmless and will revert to water and evaporate after 24 hours.

Because the milk has gone down into the carpet backing you must saturate the carpet with the enzyme solution over a similar area of carpet , then put plastic over that area ( I use a trash bag) and put some books on top. This is to keep the area moist while the enzymes work -- if it dries out too quickly in a warm house the enzymes can't work to remove the smell. Remove the plastic and let the area dry -- check for smell and if necessary repeat ,

Good Luck!

• lennie

sprinkle with baking soda, and let it stay for awhile then vacuum. I the odor is still there then take 1 cup of water, a squirt of dish washing detergent and 1/2 cup of white vinegar,Mix and apply to the carpet with a sponge.gently rubbing in a circular motion. take paper towel and blot up as much wetness as possible. Then lay two sheets on top of the stain, and leave it until it dries.

I heard vinegar works.

Fabeeze is amazing!!!!!