Recommend some fantasy series, please?

These are the ones I have already read and loved.

The Thomas Covenant series by Donaldson

The Sword of Truth series by Goodkind

The Song of Ice and Fire series by Martin

The Deverry series by Kerr

The Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Williams

The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien

Please don't recommend Terry Brooks or Robert Jordan, as I have already tried them and don't like their writing.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Try The Belgariad by David Eddings.

• 1 decade ago

Oooh, you like Tad Williams? He wrote another set of books called the Otherland series. It's fantasy and modern day mixed together, but he writes So Danged Well, it just sucks you in. He also write the War of the Flowers, which is about fairyland, and it's just wonderful.

Another mixing of fantasy and modern day (I guess it's urban fantasy?) is Charles De Lint. He's got an amazing writing style that's a bit different than Williams. It's .. more gentle, I guess. It's hard to explain, but his books are very good. In particular, I reccommend The Onion Girl, Forest of the Heart and Spirits in the Wires. But he wrote tons others.

And if you're looking for fantasy mixed with humor and satire, go for Terry Prachett. It's bloody hysterical and worth rereading. He says so much, there's no way you can get it all with one reading.

• 1 decade ago

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay

West of Eden; Winter in Eden; Return to Eden by Harry Harrison

Titan; Wizard; Demon by John Varley

The Dune series by Frank Herbert

Joust; Alta; Sanctuary; Aerie by Mercedes Lackey

The Conclave of Shadows series by Raymond E. Fiest

Gardens of the Moon; Deadhouse Gates; Memories of Ice; House of Chains; Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson

The Forgotten Realms series by R. A. Salvatore

The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock

Wicked; Son of a Witch; Confessions of An Ugly Stepsister; Mirror, Mirror by Gregory Maquire

• 1 decade ago

Judging from your past commendations, I recommend:

The Earthsea Cycle by Ursula Le Guin

The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper

Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen by Garth Nix

His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman

Discworld Series by Terry Pratchett

Also try, Anansi Boys, American Gods and Stardust by Neil Gaiman although they aren't serial novels.

Happy Reading!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The Amber books by Roger Zelazny and a follow-up triliogy by John Gregory Betancourt, "To Rule in Amber", Chaos in Amber" and "Shadows of Amber". Read Zelazny first, though. Betancourt builds on Zelazny. Another good series is the Lord Darcy books by Randall Garrett and Christopher Stasheff's "Warlock" books.

• 1 decade ago

Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke. A girl's father can summon fictional characters out of whatever story he's reading aloud. When he inadvertantly reads evil villians out of Inkheart, his family's lives change forever.

Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. A young boy who is a super genius/criminal mastermind discovers an underground magical world where the beings (elves, dwarves, etc.) are actually technologically advanced, when compared with humans. Plus being magical helps a bit too.

• 1 decade ago

Incarnations of Immortality Series and the Xanth Series by Piers Anthony

• 1 decade ago

obviously, Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling.

The Seventh Tower series by Garth Nix is good too, but it

sounds like it might be a little young for you; give it a shot.

if sci-fi isn't bothersome to you, try the

Ender series by Orson Scott Card; it is two parallel series, the

Ender's Game series and the Ender's Shadow series.

one typically stars with Ender's Game.

you could also read the Silmarilion by J.R.R. Tolkien.

the Dune series by Frank Herbert

Source(s): experience; all great books.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Mercedes Lackey has many good fantasy series. Heralds of Valdemar, and Bardic Voices for example.

You can read some of her books (and many other SF/fantasy authors) for free online at baen.com in their free library.

The first Valdemar book is The Black Gryphon. The first in Bardic Voices is The Lark and the Wren.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Harry Potter is excellent.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is pretty good too.

Idk if you like it but, Star Wars is a really great book series!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.