what is a good baby shower gift?

my little 16 year old sister is having a baby next month. grr shes yourng i know. i have no kids and have no clue what to get her. i keep asking her what she needs and she keeps saying i dont know. she also wont tell us what sex it is, so im not sure about colors and such. any ideas??

awesome answers everyone thank you. i know diapers were important, but it was nice to know from mothers that u wouldnt be offended receiving them as a gift:) its my sister and i want to help out however i can:)

Favorite Answer

What I usually do is buy the necessaries...like diapers, baby soap and lotion, diaper cream, burp cloths and other things a new mother needs...put in a large basket and then include a gift card....I also offer coupons I make myself offering diaper changes and some babysitting time for the new parents....they seem to really appreciate them.

DIAPERS DIAPERS DIAPERS. Wipes, Onesies, Baby products (lotion, soap, tylenol, diaper rash ointment) Things that a baby needs. Clothes are pointless, odds are the baby will not be in Real clothes until like at least 3 or 4 months. So get her things that she will DEFINATELY NEED. Please tell your sister to learn what resources she has in reguards to public aid. I was too proud to get public aid durning my pregnancy and then once my son was born, I had to take time to go out with my newborn to the offices. I will give you links to help her. I am not sure what state you are in, but do a web search for your states public aid department or department of human services.

Source(s): www.fns.usda.gov/wic they provide formula for the baby

Wow, 16!! Make a diaper cake. They are really cute and can be used. You can also buy some baby shampoo, lotion, gas med., tylenol, diaper wipes, baby vicks, all the little things that you need and don't want to have to go to the store in the middle of the night to get.

My cousin recieved a "cake-shaped" gift of diapers and lil extras. It was formed into 5-6 "tiers". Lots of Rolled up diapers, washcloths, towels......tied together with string (some tape) Gosh, I wish I could show you a picture, kind of hard to explain. And then little gifts, teddy bears, diapers, bottles, were pinned to the layers and stuffed inside the center. (Just imagine a tall round wedding cake, with all the tiers.)

diapers and wipes are the best. Short and long sleeve onesies (different sizes) are good too, because they will go through them fast. Other things to consider: receiving blankets, burp clothes, washcloths, and towels with hoodies.

A good stroller, bc no matter what the baby's sex, she'll def be using one of those. I like the ones that are stroller/carseat combos, just incase. They are a little pricy, but no matter what you get her im sure your sister will love it.*smiles*

If she's breastfeeding a great gift would be a boppy pillow. It is invaluable for nursing and can also be used for supporting the baby when he or she is sitting, lying and playing.

Source(s): I'm a mother
  • Maybe get like a yellow teddy bear, Yellow is mostly for girls but is in deed a good color for boys, no pink-purple or blue-green types because it too much of a boy & too much of a girl!

Source(s): Try Yellow.

Diapers!!!!!! Not juyst newborn size, everyone will get them those, get different sizes!!! It is the BEST gift and will be used!!!

She could always use wipes and get her a neutral color onesie or sleeper. Good Luck !