Does any Jews or followers of Judaism know the meaning of the color red in Judaism? Thank you.?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It has none. There is no call for the colour red in any ritual or anything else. The "red threads" sold by the Kaballah Cult of David Berg are the trappings of a cult and nothing more- yet another means of his to entice money from the gullible

The two instances of red in the Torah are:

1) The Parah Adumah- the red heffer. A oerfectly red cow (in other words it could not have more than two non-red hairs). This was chosen because it is very rare- red cows ar enot common, and one which is perfectly common- in fact, only 7 such cows were ever found throughout the time that Jews were offering sacrifices (in other words one cow every two hundred years or so.) The Baal Haturim, a medieval Commentator, shows how the sacrifice of the red heffer was in remeberance of the golden calf- and states that the gold of the golden calf was red, and thus the colour needed for the cow. but the colour red itself did not have significance

2) The sacrifice of the goat on Yom Kippur (the day of atonement). Two goats were selected- lots were cast and one was "sent to Azazel- i.e. driven out of the camp and over a cliff as a symbolic chasing away of sin) and the other goat was sacrificed. A white thread was dipped into the blood of the sacrificed goat- and if it turned white, it showed that the Kohen Gadol had performed the ceremony perfectly and the people were forgiven. The red on the thread was merely the staining from the blood, if blood was green it would have been green- the colour red was not significant in itself.

• 1 decade ago

The color red has no particular significance in Judaism of which I'm aware. There are references to the "red heifer" in the Torah, which was used in various rituals, but I think that's it.

Source(s): I'm Jewish.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I don't know the meaning, but was taught that red was not tznias. It attracts attenton to oneself.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It means women are having their period.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.