5.7L hemi engine in 1991 Camaro?

What mods, etc. would be necessary to make an old Camaro move?

Favorite Answer

why the hell would u put a new dodge motor in an old chevy

5.7 hemi is not even a good motor 345 ci gimme a break

426 hemi... now that i could see.

not to mention, any hemi cost more than a 91 camaro is worth... new ones just because they are new, and old ones too, because they are good

No.....blasphermy....why would you put that Mopar engine in a GM car...GM performance parts has the greatest aftermarket in the world...the 350 V-8 has been put in everything from Ford Deuce coupes to speedboats....you need to have your head examined...the customization you'll have to pay for ..is not worth...the labor with the welding and fabricating is a easy $2000 or $3000....the engine was made for Dodges, Plymouths, and Chryslers...not GM cars....now if you wanted to use a Oldsmobile, Pontiac, or Buick engine..that is a different story...all of those are GM models...most of them share the same platform...with the 91 Camaro, you can fit a LT-1 through 5; the same engine in a Corvette...you can also fit the LS6...which is a new age 427....this engine is known for smoking the 426 in the 68-73 Dodge Chargers....do the research..pick up a Hotrod magazine, son because you sound like a idiot.....you probably got a 305 in there now, go buy a crate small block V-8...5.7 litre engine...the most versatile engine ever built....gauranteed 400 plus horses stock...427 will give you 500....before the supercharger and the computer chip...you could go for the 454....600 horses ...they even have a 502 or 540 to fit your car....Chrysler dose'nt have the aftermarket that GM has....there are several street legal Camaros from the 80's and early 90's like yours....with 500 to 700 horses cruising around the States....after the early 70's, Chrysler fell off with performance and did'nt pick back up the muscle car baton until the Viper in 89....they tried to make American rice rockets that made 300 horsepowers with turbo chargers and computer chips...GM kept on going...with the Camaro, Vette, and Monte Carlo...even the Caprice was transformed into the legendary 1996 Impala SS ....with the same 350 kicking butt...boy, you don't know what you got....in that Camaro...a firebreathing monster.

the chick with the 300C raced a truck but not a Camaro or Monte Carlo...with all that weight...she would have got smoked....she dose'nt know a damn thing about cars...top contributor to what?...she has no knownledge of what we are speaking on....the new batch of Chryslers are crap....the Charger is a sedan now...the only one worth having is the Viper....that is a monster and Mitsubishi is responsible for contributing the technology for that car just like they did for the Stealth which those fools discontinued...Chevy is USA-1...don't ever forget it

• Amy m

You might want to ask your question in the chrysler section I'm sure they would enjoy it and be more helpfull.The 350 chevy has been overdone.The 5.7 345 hp hemi is an awesum motor and I had one in an 05 300c.I smoked a modified 8.1 chevy truck with the 300 c being stock.If you put one in make sure you hook it up with mds it will haul donkeys and get great fuel mileage.I own one chevy, ford and a dodge when I want to go fast it's definetly dodge.For deon sphinx I blew away a 14.1 427 chevy with a 318 running pump gas.In it's wildest dreams the 427 couldn't stay together long enough to beat a 426 hemi.Watch the old nascar footage of 3800 pound 427 chevy cars racing 4200 pound 426 hemi chrysler cars handing them their lunch petty used to win by as many as 3 laps ahead of second place while being down 2 laps with 10 to go.If you watch the old nascar races you will notice all the 427's blowing up during the races.the restrictor plate is the best thing to ever happen for chevy in racing.The only engines in funny cars and top fuel drag cars are chrysler style hemi's.The highest price I've ever seen paid for a vette was one with a 426 hemi in it well over a hundred grand.

Source(s): To much heartbreak out of the 350.

If I were you I would say the hell with the hemi and stick with Chevy. They might be hard to find but I would go with eather a 400 small block, or a 327 out of an old corvette, they are both great engins. Or like a couple of other people said build you a 383 stroker.

Source(s): me

Any Hemi would be to wide to fit into a camaro with out modifications. I would get on of the new Vortec truck motors of the 6 liter size prefferabley from Caddy. The sell new K-members to bolt them right in at summitracing.com.

Also GMPP sells many things to make these motors monsters plus the stand alone computers for them.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time. I think you would be better off find a wrecked I-roc Camaro, Something with a TPI 350 (5.7L) . Pull the motor the brainbox and the drive line including the rear end gear. If not that go for a stroker motor preferably a Chevy motor

Brittany is right. Stroker motors like a 383 SBC is a great motor. I got one in my 1969 Chevy truck I got put together back in the early 90's but becaause of gas prices I didn;t drive it that much. .I put in 11:1 pistons, Crowler Stage 2 cam 2.02 valves ,torquer 2 intake and a 750 double pumper,headers with Cherry Bomb mufflers all the way in the back .A rev kit in the dist.I built it to pull a boat and man, I had no idea just how fast it would run.I have been working on the body some here and there cause I still use it as a truck and it is white ,primer brown,and green . Gets about 6-8 mpg if I stay out of it. Last fall I was out on a 4 lane and took off at the light ,shifted into 2nd gear and noticed a Dodge truck coming around me and as he started to pass me I floored it after seeing his 30 day tag and Hemi on the fender. In 2nd gear with his rear bumper passing my front fender I shot out ahead of him and by about 2/12 lengths dropped it into 3rd and was about 4 lengths ahead when he dropped in behind me. He was trying to go around me and jump in front of me to take an entrance ramp on the right side of the road. At the light I looked at his tag as he went right and saw it was an '07' 1/2 ton ,BRAND SPANKIN' NEW and my ol' Chevy weighing 3745 lbs with 4 sacks of Portland cement in the bed and 2 other guys in the front seat "SMOKED HIM"!!!. Imagine that that engine would do in that Camaro.

Source(s): GM emp 31 yrs and builder of the Camaro& Firebird from 1975-1987. Avid backyard mech too with friends who are the same

waaaaaaaaay too much fabrication for your time dude...and LT1 or LS1 motor would be WAAAAY easier and more worth your time....and more punchy. 300 hp bone stock.....you can also put a T-65 trans on the back of that motor and get a 6-speed for your old f-body, they make kits for that....trust me, the hemis not a good idea....the guy who asks if that things got a a hemi wont be able to catch you with the LS1/T-65 combo.

Why? You'd be better off doing a big block in the Camaro. Cheaper to do and much easier.

You'll spend so much on modifying the mounting locations, you get a headache. Logon to summit racing and get you a 400hp 5.7 chevy ready to go out the box, it will bolt right in.