Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Why does my kitten have eye boogers?

My 7 week old kitten seems completely healthy, but he has eye boogers constantly, and the rims of his eyes seem red. We got him 2 weeks ago, and like I said, he seems fine. My other cat (a year old) has also acquired these eye boogers in the last few days. Does anyone know why this could be?

He also is panting, but only in hot weather, is that normal?

Favorite Answer

The best thing to do is take them to the Vet. This could be caused by several conditions. Has the kitten been wormed? If your other cat has gotten this since the kitten has come into your home, then it must be something contagious.

My cat gets eye boogers all the time. I just wash my hands very well and then gently wipe it out of her eye. I'm guessing that your cat just has boogers in her nose. I'm sure the same technique will work on her nose that works on her eyes. But as much as everyone here apparently finds this funny, you need to watch your cat and make sure that she doesn't start having problems with her eyes. Pussy or yellowish "boogers" or her having a hard time keeping her eye open, could mean an infection. It can be painful and she will have to get medication from the vet to treat it. Which is why if you do clean out her eyes or nose, that you should make sure your hands are CLEAN so not to cause an infection while trying to help her. And just a little bit of advice, my cat hates to have her eyes cleaned out so I don't force her to let me do it. I do it when she's calm and still and sometimes when she's sleeping.

A few eye "boogers" once in a while is fine, but when the eyes of a cat are red, something is not right. If you other cat got them as well, it sounds to me like something similar to Pink Eye, but in kitty form. I would definitely get both of your cats to a vet as soon as you can, before the problem worsens.

Best of luck, I hope your kitties are alright!

I agree that you want to get the kitty to the vet. Younger kittens get boogies as their eyes are opening, but your baby is too old for that. What concerns me is that your older cat now has the eye problem. The panting is semi-normal. It happens when cats are stressed. The new environment could potentially be causing this. You will want to mention this to the vet as well.

Source(s): personal experience

The duct that drains the eye(s) may be clogged, which sometimes happens, causing the "boogers" accumulation. A vet will have eye drops to open up the ducts. Couple three times per day for a few days usually does it.

The kitten might havean eye infection. Take him to a vet. they will give you what you need

It could be a respiratory infection you many want to see a vet

CAt might have cold take to vet to get clavamox (anitbiotic)

Source(s): cat breeder