if i plan on storing my vehicle, will removing the battery save the charge?

I left the battery in the car for about 8 months and the battery drained, and i was told it couldn't be recharged. I bought a new battery and used it in the car for a couple days. If i now disconnect the battery, and store it, will the battery stay good if i plan on reinstalling it some time next year?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It will be better to store the vehicle with the battery disconnected,but better yet buy a battery trickle charger or maintainer (one that automatically turns on and off as needed) and that will keep your new battery fresh,and extend it's overall life.

• 1 decade ago

yes the bat will stay good as long as you do not store it on a cement floor cement is known for draining the battery if you plan on leaving it on the floor put a peace of plywood under it so that it does not drain then you should be good to go for next time you want to drive your car

• 1 decade ago

Your vehicles computer drains the battery since it uses it to save its settings like the clock radio presets and other things. If you leave it disconected and clean the battery since it could still drain if its dirty enough. thats called a parasitic load. Anyways its better if you leave it disconected but remember you will loose any settings and your vehicle may take a while to run at its best ( depends on year of vehicle )

• 1 decade ago

leave it in the car and unhook the battery cables to it and buy yourself a battery tender and hook it up and it will keep the battery charged up for as long as it needs to be, only runs when the battery starts going down.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

yes the battery would be good if you take the battery cable off and it would stay charged that way and it would be okay to use some time next year.

• 4 years ago

that's purely not the least confusing answer yet once you're gonna get rid of the battery any way. you would be able to to boot take the battery from the working truck and establish it interior the not common to get to a minimum of one then circulate it so the two are obtainable. until you think of the truck with the ineffective battery won't start up because of the fact then you easily will have 2 ineffective batteries. Taking the battery right into a fix save and having them fee it would be loose and safer especially whilst you're unfamiliar with battery charging. If that may not conceivable do not placed the battery on the floor lay a chunk of timber or cardboard down first

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Leave it connected and attach a trickle charger. ~

Did that when I went to Europe for 15 months and it started right up when I returned.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

what you can do is fully discharge it when you take it out.

then when your ready, charge it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.