TVC15 asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

Is it appropriate for a doctor to preform a complete physical exam on the opposite sex?

Just wondering how everone feels about this? Would you be more comfortable with a same sex doctor?

Favorite Answer

My doc looks like Eva Longoria. Yes. Carry on.

Happens a lot. In some places though, by law, a male doctor has to have a nurse or other witness (assumed female) present if he's going to do any physical exam on a female patient (to protect both the patient from sexual assault but also to protect the doctor from being accused of sexual assault by a psycho patient). The gender of a good, honest, decent doctor should not matter although some people prefer their primary doctor to be of the same sex.

my doctor is a girl and im a guy and she is hot and to top it all off its a cold office and she made me drop my pants and then we talked for a few minutes completely off the topic while she was doing it not the best my junk ever looked also i wasnt hard or anything and i swear she drug out the turn head cough thing be happy i personally would rather have an opposite sex doctor because a guy messing with my package would seem awkward to me because i was on probation and had to pee in a cup twice a week in front off some old guy to make sure i wasnt cheating the test thats really awkward as long as you dont get hard nothing bad about it

I work for a male family practice doctor and he will routinely give Pap smears to our female patients. I know that there are somethings that a doc of the opposite sex just cannot understand through personal experience yet they professional and good at what they do. I personally prefer to be seen by a woman doctor and my family doc, my gynecologist, and my children's pediatrician, are all women. So yes. I feel more comfy with someone of the same sex tending to me and my daughters. (And I know plenty of WONDERFUL male doctors I would recommend to all of my friends including the ones I work for)

Source(s): personal experience and working in a doctors office

It's perfectly fine. I prefer an opposite sex doctor, myself.

I think it depends on how ccomfortable you are with your doctor. I think if they are very professional in their approach then it's fine and I honestly feel that even with the same sex doctor most people are not 100% comfortable.

Well not long ago you could not choose which sex to have. Its only been the past few years since women have been allowed, in large numbers, in med school. Women had no choice but to have male doctors- we weren't supposed to think it was a problem. Now that women are 50% of med school admissions, you guys have a problem?

Of course it is appropriate. Most doctors are professionals and your exam is nothing special.

Okay...I DO prefer a same sex doctor...

~shrugs in guilt~

I would say so I would rather have the opposite sex doing this than the same sex you know what i mean

the doc should have a nurse of the same sex as the patient or the patients spouse in the room or the parent if it's a child.