Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

My brother registered pirated photoshop!?!?

Hi... I went to visit my brother the other day and he showed me some of the things he'd been doing on photoshop. I found out he got his copy on limewire, since he couldn't afford to buy it. I told him he could get in trouble, but since he didn't register it, he probably wouldn't as long as he deleted it - but he DID register it with a cracked key!!! He's 22 so I know he can get in trouble if they catch on to him but he doesn't think there's much chance of it since he used a fake name. I removed it from his computer for him so it's gone now, but, realistically, what will happen if they come across his registration? With the fake name would they still bring it back to him and if so, how? I know I worried him but I'd like to have a real idea about what he's gotten himself into here. Thanks.

Favorite Answer

If he gets caught, that's the price for pirating software.

If they really wanted to, they could easily track it back to your exact PC. The fake name is irrelevant. Chances are, they won't bother as long as it doesn't become a regular thing.

I would forget about it for now, he should be OK as long as he doesn't do it any more.

Also, it's probably not a good idea to post in a world-wide public forum that your brother is pirating software...

Source(s): Florida State Technology Office.

Don't worry about it. Millions of people are downloading software illegally through Limewire and there is no chance that anyone will track down every single person who has downloaded software from Limewire. If somehow they do catch him they will just give him a ticket at worst because he didn't burn the software to a CD-Rom and sold it to other people. You can relax now.

P.S. Just as a heads up, don't download anything from limewire because its just filled with viruses.

The police can still find evidence of pirated software on the hard drive, even after you uninstall it.

You have to use a program that erases all traces from the hard drive by overwriting it with random 1's and 0's. You probably can download such erasing software for free from some site on the internet.

Well if they do catch him, which is a possibility, but wouldn't really worry about it, then they may fine him (don't know how much) and request that he buys the original version from him, the Guy who is really in trouble, is the one that cracked it.

Basically if you use pirated copies, DON'T REGISTER, Even better is don't use them.

I recommand you to use Google Picasa to manage and edit your pictures.

Picasa is software that helps you instantly find, edit and share all the pictures on your PC. Every time you open Picasa, it automatically locates all your pictures (even ones you forgot you had) and sorts them into visual albums organized by date with folder names you will recognize. You can drag and drop to arrange your albums and make labels to create new groups.

Picasa makes sure your pictures are always organized. Picasa also makes advanced editing simple by putting one-click fixes and powerful effects at your fingertips. And Picasa makes it a snap to share your pictures ¨C you can email, print photos at home, make gift CDs, instantly share via Hello™, and even post pictures on your own blog.

free download in here, just have a try:

http://www.168tv.net/google-picasa/

Good Luck, Best Wishes!

the worst case here i can think is he will be forced to pay for his pirated software, as long as he use it for himself( not for bussines) i dont think they will send him to jail.

but the chance the software company get your brother is small i think, because they will be busy with other matters than to get your brother