mj asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

baby birds in nest... no mother?

there is a nest at the bottom of my deck... its up high... there has been a mother in it for a while. but yesterday i looked... no mother... then again today no mother... and ive checked a couple times within the last 4 hours... no mother... will she come back? i have a cat who kills a lot of birds in my yard... i am worried he got the mother. im not sure though. im not sure what kind it was but it was small... gray... and looked to have a long tail when it was there. i stayed far away so i wouldnt scare her.

should i try taking the next down and feeding it some moist cat food or something? i was reading not to feed water and its a good thing to feed cat food. if i leave them till tomorrow do you think they will still be alive?

i took a mirror to see if they were alive... they are tiny... with big closed eyes... little gray fuzzy feathers... and pink skin... they are breathing a little.

i dont know what to do... any advise please let me know

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Leave the nest alone...they are most likely being cared for. Don't forget..even if something happened to one parent..the other will still care for the babies..it is HIGHLY unlikely something happened to both adults. Unless you sit and watch the nest continually for at least an hour, you are probably missing the visits. They can be very secretive, and the visits can last for seconds. Keep in mind it is illegal for you to move this nest or disturb the chicks in any way...let nature take it's couse...let the parents raise their own babies as this is their best chance of survival.

Source(s): I am an ornithologist (bird biologist)
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

the certainty that her wing touched you ability not something. mom birds are faraway from the nest a lot, looking nutrition. positioned the nest someplace in a greater secluded spot, yet interior of reach of path. the mother is familiar with the infants are there yet is worried approximately going decrease back to them because of the fact they're close to people. Chalice

• 1 decade ago

You took a mirror to see if they were alive? If you keep bothering the nest, the mother will never feel safe enough to come back! Leave the area completely, so she will come back. Listen to birdgirl - she knows what she is talking about!

• 1 decade ago

theres really no help for it, without the mother it will probably die. Once you touch the bird and the mother comes back she will kick it out of the nest. It prob wont eat cat food. You could try to contact the humane society but I'm not sure there is anything they will do. Nature is tough.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Leave it alone. The mother is probably avoiding YOU. Stay away and she'll return.

• 1 decade ago

Give some worms or seeds or something, they would starve to death before they could fly and hunt, if their mother is already gone.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Take them to an animal doctor or spca. They would know how to take care of them and keep them healthy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.