allyn h asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

red onion VS. Sweet onion?

I have a recipe that calls for sweet onion... is this the same as a red onion?

If not do you think i can sub one for the other?

Favorite Answer

Vidalia onions are the sweet ones. I know if you only have red you can add a little sugar to what you are cooking and it helps with the sweetness part you are missing from that onion.

Red Vs White Onion

• izak

Spanish Onion Vs Yellow Onion

No, the sweet onion and the red onion are completely different. Alot of people see sweet onions in the store and think they are yellow onions because thats what they look like. They both have a very different taste but onions can be switched out usually depending on the dish.

• ?

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axsP9

No onions need to be cooked; all can be eaten raw. But, some varieties are much stronger than others. Bermuda (red) onions are usually considered a milder onion, but I think they've gotten stronger in the last few years. For sweeter onions, get Maui, Vidalia or Texas (they'll cost more though). Your standard white &brown onions are interchangeable. If you peel an onion, cut it in half, and spray it with some olive oil Pam, wrap it in foil and put it on the BBQ, it will actually be very sweet too:) .... You can usually cut the bad part of the onion away, and the rest should be fine. Onions are fine in the pantry, but they should be able to "breathe". A fabric sack is usually best for that; and a plastic bag is the worst:) (same with potatoes) .... When I saute onions, I use either butter or oil; whatever works best with the rest of the meal....

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

red onion VS. Sweet onion?

Source(s): red onion sweet onion: https://biturl.im/xCOMA

You can always substitute one type of onion for another, just remember that the flavor of your dish will change, but necessarily in a bad way. Sweet onions are sweet, red onions are bitter, yellow onions can be any where from strong to mild.

If you have the typical red onion from the grocery - then it will be a hotter onion. There are are sweet red onions, but you see those mainly in farmer's markets. As far as substituting it, it will depend on the recipe. For some recipes, like a marinara, it won't be a huge difference, but for something like a sweet onion relish or garnish - make the trip to the grocery store.

No, unless the onion will not be cooked. Sweet onions look like yellow (Spanish) onions. They are usually Vidalia or 1015s. They are not as harsh as white onions, but similar in flavor. To me, red onions taste terrible when they are cooked.

Red onions are pretty in a salad, but they definitely have a bite to them. Go with the yellow onions or Vidalia onions.