Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why did Jesus say "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me"?

Favorite Answer

“And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). This cry is a fulfillment of Psalm 22:1, one of many parallels between that psalm and the specific events of the crucifixion. It has been difficult to understand in what sense Jesus was “forsaken” by God. It is certain that God approved His work. It is certain that He was innocent. He had done nothing to forfeit the favor of God. As His own Son - holy, harmless, undefiled, and obedient - God still loved Him. In none of these senses could God have forsaken Him.

However, Isaiah tells us that “he bore our griefs and carried our sorrows; that he was wounded for our transgressions, and bruised for our iniquities; that the chastisement of our peace was laid upon him; that by his stripes we are healed” (Isaiah 53:4-5). He redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us (Galatians 3:13). He was made a sin-offering, and He died in our place, on our account, that He might bring us near to God. It was this, doubtless, which caused His intense sufferings. It was the manifestation of God’s hatred of sin, in some way which He has not explained, that Jesus experienced in that terrible hour. It was suffering endured by Him that was due to us, and suffering by which, and by which alone, we can be saved from eternal death.

In those awful moments, Jesus was expressing His feelings of abandonment as God placed the sins of the world on Him – and because of that had to “turn away” from Jesus. As Jesus was feeling that weight of sin, He was experiencing separation from God for the only time in all of eternity. It was at this time that 2 Corinthians 5:21 occurred, “God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” Jesus became sin for us, so He felt the loneliness and abandonment that sin always produces, except that in His case, it was not His sin – it was ours.

God had to turn his back on His son because He was in a sinful state. So Jesus experienced a period of time when the Father was not with Him--God hates sin and can't stand to look at it. But Jesus knew that He had to go through this for us to be restored back to our rightful places in God

Imagine, a man with a very direct, close connection with God.

He talked with him constantly.

When it seemed that Jesus would need God the most. God left him alone on the cross to endure and take on the sins of the world. Wouldn't you too ask God where the heck are you now, when I need you the most?

Because for that breif moment when he was holding all the sins of the world to forgive us. God did leave him because god could not be apart of him along with all the sins.

and you^^^ who said he didn't leave, dont give advice anymore man. False evidence will turn more ppl away.

because God left him at that moment and thats when all of the sins of the world came upon him and after he spoke that he died

• Renata

There is a spiritually "positive" part of this Psalm -

In verse 21, David wrote, "...You have answered Me".

Because he knew what fate he had, what prophecy he had to fulfill, Remember he is all God and All Man too, he didn't want to die, but he knew he had to die for our sins to be forgiven...

God's Peace!

quoting psalm 22.

Eli Eli lama shabatonai!!! he was quoting the prophecy of Psalm 22 as seen by David.

"dogs have compassed me round about...they part my garments and gamble...they pierced my side....my tongue cleaveth to my jaw....my hands and my feet are pierced" etc etc....he wasn't crying rather quoting David's vision of the crucifiction.

He was bearing the sins of all who acknowledge Him as Lord and Savior. God could not look upon that sin.

• Mim

from psalm 22 read it and you will see his death for told.