Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

Does warm water cause clothing to shrink? Do new clothing shrink anyway if you wash it?

Does warm water cause (100% cotton) clothing to shrink? I heard that if you wash it in whether its cold or warm, a new shirt will always shrink.

Recently i bought a shirt/beaker (100% cotton) at ae, it was just the right fit but it was tight on the arms. (size 2) Should i get a size larger, even though this onne shows my curves? or Should i get a size larger (size 4) and then put it in warm water?

BTW, i know that heat/hot shrinks clothes. But what about warm water?

Thanks for answering. I'll give 10 points if you answer all my questions.

LIst your sources pleaaasee!!!!

Favorite Answer

Warm water can cause some shrinkage, but in reality, any temperature of water can cause shrinkage in a cotton shirt. Cotton fiber is very absorbent and the fibers swell or expand when wet and then when the moisture is removed, the fiber pulls in a great deal. (That is the simplest way to describe it.)

Another thing related to 100% cotton tees is that most likely it is a knit fabric. Knit fabrics shrink more than a woven fabric. Knits are items like sweaters, t-shirts, sweats, etc. Wovens are items like jeans, dress pants, button up dress shirt.

I suggest that you go with the larger size because if the arms are already tight, they are only going to get tighter and bind your arms. The size 4 will be your best bet because it will likely shrink a little due to both the cotton content and the knit structure. PLUS, if you find that the item did not shrink enough for you in warm water, then wash with hot water and dry a little longer the next time. Just don't over do it.

Source(s): Textile (fibers and fabrics) instructor

The warm water alone will not shrink the clothes but it has to also go into the dryer. Put it in the dryer for some extra time, that will work it out for you.

The heat will cause it to shrink. Don't put it too hot now that you ruin your fabric.

As for the the blouse, if you wash it several times in cold water it will expand enough to a comfortable size.

Good luck

Edit: I just remembered that depending on the fabric ironing it out after the was will cause it to expand too.

Source(s): My personal experience. This has worked for me.

I wash most of my clothes in warm water. Most clothes will not shrink in warm water (100% cotton) Hope this helps.

You could always get another shirt larger size and soak it in hot water for a bit and then wash in cold/warm water. That normally shrinks my clothes some when needed. Good luck and take care.

Source(s): Personal
  • MILF

The only clothes I wash in hot or warm water are whites, which I bleach also. There's no reason why you can't just wash everything in cold water. It saves money in energy costs and is gentler on your clothes. If you want the smaller size shirt to fit you longer, hang-dry it or lay it flat to dry. It will be wrinkled, but will retain its shape longer and look newer if you don't dry it. When you want to wear it, turn it inside out and touch it up with an iron on medium heat. You can use this method with all your clothes, helping them look newer longer.

Source(s): Lots of years of trial and error! =)

Set your washer on cold/cold permanent wash to prevent wrinkles. Drying on high heat will shrink your clothes. Heat is heat no matter from hot water in the washer or high heat in the dryer. You should set your dryer on air and let the clothes go through the cycle. Remove the clothes that are almost dry, hang them up, and let them finish air drying. No shrinkage.

Cheap, or "inexpensive" clothes always shrink, no matter what temp you use.