In the UK has anyone refused the Vitamin K jab for their newborn? and why?

My husband does not like the idea of the baby having a jab so young - I know they can take it orally over a couple of days.

Just wanted some opinions

Favorite Answer

Unless you have a traumatic birth that may effect the baby(bleeding wise) there is no need to do the shot. If it is a boy and you choose not to circumcise, there is no reason for it in that case either. If you plan on breastfeeding you can take alfalfa tablets during the last few months of pregnancy. This will up the vitamin K production in your breast milk and will thus be transferred to your baby during the first nursing session, and skip the oral vitamin doses altogether. I found this to be a much better alternative. The body does not readily utilise synthetic vitamins and minerals.

The vitamin k shot has been linked to leukaemia, including acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Also, the manufacturers warn on the product insert: "Severe reactions, including fatalities, have occurred during and immediately after intravenous injection of phytonadione even when precautions have been taken to dilute the vitamin and avoid rapid infusion..." Animal studies have linked large doses of vitamin K to a variety of conditions that include anaemia, liver damage, kidney damage and death. Interestingly the common problem that occurs these days of jaundice in newborns has only been reported since the introduction of Vitamin K administration.

· According to the product insert, adverse reactions include haemolysis (or hemolysis - American spelling) (meaning breakdown of red blood cells), haemolytic anaemia (a disorder characterised by chronic premature destruction of red blood cells), hyperbilirubinemia (too much bilirubin in blood) and jaundice (yellow skin and eyes resulting from hyperbilirubinemia), and allergic reactions include face flushing, gastrointestinal upset, rash, redness, pain or swelling at injection site and itching skin. It also warns that large enough doses can cause brain damage in infants and/or impairment to liver function.

Check out the forums at http://www.mothering.com , the ladies there are very helpful and informative. Good Luck!

Hi,

I read about why you would give them this Jab in my medical book. It had said that if the mother had taken antibiotics, or if the baby is jaundice and a few others. It is essential for proper clotting of the blood. But I am assuming JAB means shoot. The shoot is more affective right away. If taken orally it takes longer to get into the system. Most doctors like to give shoots since its a faster way and easier way to take care of many things. I would say do the shoot and have dad stay in waiting room. But that might not be to his liking. The bottom line is the feelings behind your husband saying no to the Jab. I would talk it over with him and see if this is because he doesn't want anyone to hurt the baby, if he hates a jab ect. Since this is between both of you I would talk it out and look at the options. If baby is sick shoot is the best way to go. If not then talk it over. Ask doctor which he feels will BENEFIT THE BABY. the baby comes first now. If this is just because dad don't like shoots that's not putting the baby health first. I hope this helped.

Source(s): American Medical Association Family Medical Guide