If gambling is sin, why do so many religious people travel to Sin City?

Sin City as in Las Vegas, Nevada.

"It's only a "sin" if you're addicted to it." So by this statement do you mean that you can twist any Bible passage in your favor?

Favorite Answer

Yes, gambling is a sin (the greedy person):

1 Corinthians 6: 9 - 10

"What! Do you not know what persons will not inherit God's kingdom? Fornicators, Adulterers, Liars, Extortioners, Men who Lie With Men, Men Who Use the Flesh Unnaturally, Drunkards, and GREEDY PERSONS, etc., won't inherit God's kingdom.

If people who call themselves Christians frequent the nearest corner bar to play the "pull tabs, computer slot machines, bingo, roulette, and then travel on to Las Vegas, Reno, Atlantic City, etc.", to gamble then this makes that one a hypocrite. They are not indeed a Christian at all. AND TO THE PERSON ABOVE WHO MADE THE COMMENT THAT GAMBLING WASN'T A SIN AS LONG AS YOU'RE NOT ADDICTED NEEDS REPROVING AS THE ACT ITSELF IS A SIN. IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THAT IT WAS, YOU CERTAINLY DO NOW. IT, THE ACT WHETHER ADDICTIVE OR OCCASIONALLY, IS A SIN. AND THE BINGO HALLS AT THE CATHOLIC CHURCHES IS SUCH A SLAP IN THE FACE TO GOD. These are not real godly people at all; how terrible.

I know because I used to love to gamble. I was very good at it and I always won, but then when I looked at the faces around me they were sad because I was winning all their money. I did some studying and asking around, reading the Bible and conversing with the Elders to learn that I was being greedy. Well, I knew this but I didn't equate it with gambling.

I am no longer a greedy person and do not gamble anymore. Nor do I visit Sin City or Reno, or establishment where there is gambling; NOT EVEN LOTTERY TICKETS BECAUSE THAT IS GAMBLING.

You posed a very good question, and I'm truly impressed that someone posted it. Very nice...needed to be addressed.

It's only a "sin" if you're addicted to it.

-------

" "It's only a "sin" if you're addicted to it." So by this statement do you mean that you can twist any Bible passage in your favor? "

-------

Uh, no, I meant I do not believe in it being a sin. It is only "wrong" if it is an addictive behavior for you, or if you spend money gambling instead of say, buying food for your family. You're the one who said it was a sin, not me.

I don't get "right" and "wrong" from the Bible, I use my own conscience, morals, and common sense.

I, personally, have only been to a casino once. I was of legal age at the time and just ended up losing $20. I decided on not spending any more than that when I set out. I found the whole experience rather boring.

Some people just LOVE to assume things, don't they? I guess it was my fault for not explaining better. I don't follow the Bible word for word. Now that would just be silly. I do still consider myself a Christian though. Sorry for not making it clear that my answer was my opinion and personal view, not what I read in the Bible.

To Psalms, thank you for informing me I need "reproving." I do not appreciate you implying I am greedy. You do not know a thing about me. Did you know judging is also a sin? I have gambled ONCE and it had nothing to do with greed. See, this is the reason I don't take the Bible that seriously.

For the EXPERIANCE!

After that it's because they are

ADDICATED

Ain' life grand?

Well, since I am not a Christian, I guess it's not a sin, right?

So, I go for the shows.

I always lose at gambling.

You know there is a lot more to do in Las Vegas then just sin!!!

as far as i know, gambling isn't a sin. In fact, lotteries, a version of gambling, was started by the Puritans in the 1800's to raise revenues of the churches. However, lying to your wife is, which is what most people do when they go to sin city ;)

• .

I drove a cab in Las Vegas for 1 year back in 1987. At that time(and its still there) a Catholic Church just one half block off the Strip called CATHEDRAL CHURCH

Back in 1987 on a Sunday CATHEDRAL CATHOLIC CHURCH was the BUSIEST CAB STAND ON THE WHOLE STRIP ! ! !

And MOST of these Catholics didn't Even BEGIN to have a GUILTY CONSCIENCE

Even after attending Mass MOST of the Catholics that got into my Cab were in A HURRY To Get Back to their Hotel SO they could START GAMBLING AGAIN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Maybe they come for the strip clubs and 24 hour liquor sales. Although it's possible those are also sinful. I'm not a theologian, so I won't speculate on that.

why do people assume that religious people are perfect and must be perfect, otherwise they aren't really religious? People are people, whatever your race, religion, or sex. Not everyone believes its a sin anyways, just an unwise thing to do often.

Because their religions are not strong enough to create a longing and determined change in their lives. I mean, after all, the Mafia are Catholics!!

humans are humans and just cuz they claim their religious doesnt mean they can't sin. one thing is to believe something is true. And another thing is to practice what is true. many people know what they should be eating for their health's sake yet they continue to eat what is unhealthy. people live according to their preference.

many christians use the bible like bush uses intel- pick and choose what you want, and deny the rest exists