Is it dangerous in Lebanon?

I am really curious because I don't know.

I live in the UK and on the TV here they show film clips of Lebanon with riots attacks and explosions. As I have never been, I can only see what it on TV…in England, they show the streets in Leb like those of Gaza..very dangerous where something could explode in a second?

Is it really like that over there? How do you protect yourselves, for example, when travelling to work and so on? Lebanon used to be on my list of places to visit but because of what I see on tv, I would be too scared now.

Favorite Answer

I agree with Kate, the thing is it's not like we can't go out and have fun... yes there happen explosions and car bombings, but not daily, not every week either.. sometimes, months would pass by and all that happen is some politicians insult each other...

We go to work, we go out to restaurants, and cafes.. we continue our live normally..

We know that it's all in the hands of God, and so we believe in His protection, love and mercy.

You can come over to Lebanon, you're always welcomed.. but I suggest waiting a bit till things are better for sure.. I'm not saying that things are bad here.. but they're not good either.

Hope you have fun, no matter when you come... :)

It's nothing like Gaza!! Waaaay less dangerous.

There is no war or shelling. There are just assasinations of politicians and bombings, and stuff like that ;) Nothing to be worried about lol.

No, seriously, it's not like you imagine. Everything's so normal. People go to work normally. There are bombings happening every week or so, targeting politicians and sometimes malls, and neighbourhoods. But one can not guess where the next bombing will take place. So we don't hide at home. We carry on in our lives and live for the day.

Apart from that, there's an ongoing conflict in a refugee camp in the North, between the army and a militia called Fateh-el-Islam, but that's far from the cities, and the battle is limited to the camp. That's what you're seeing on TV.

I was there soon after stuff flared up with Nahr al-Bard. There were explosions every few nights. We quickly learned that no one goes out at night and all the shops close at night. Most of what is shown on the news is the Nahr al-Bard camp and places *after* there has been an explosion. We'd loose power regularly, but most times, the generator where we were staying would kick on in a matter of minutes.

I probably wouldn't have gone to Lebanon during this time except that it was for business. I could have rescheduled, but it would have been at a major inconvenience for everyone else. So we checked our embassy's website regularly since things can unravel quickly in Lebanon, remember last summer? I took what they said to heart, stay out of the north and avoid crowds, vary your schedule and I still brought my family. Towards the end of our trip, our embassy did renew their travel warning for Lebanon, but did not issue an evacuation.

So yes, it is somewhat dangerous, but it's not as bad as Gaza or Iraq.

Well all i know is that i wanted to go to lebanon to visit and my family said "Don't it's too dangerous, we don't know if it's going to get worse or betteR" They were like it's better off you wait till next year or later on in the year...I don't know...everyone acts like it's not a big deal because they have been there and it happens all the time. But God forbid if it worsens...i wouldn't want to be stuck there and not be able to leave the country.

KAte: i always agree with you, But sometimes it's out of God's hands in the sense that you are putting yourself in danger too. I mean if you are holding yourself back, maybe that's a sign from God, I mean there is a civil war going on. It's not all about if it's goign to happen it wil lhappen. Sometimes people bring situations on to themselves.

although i can not answer the part about Lebanon, I can answer the Gaza part.

Gaza is horrible right now, there are gunshots and people exloding everywhere you go. My friend's dad's cousin was walking from his car to his house and he got shot in the head and died. He wasnt even part of either rival party! The way I see it, visiting Gaza at this time is suicide.

It's not like what they show on TV.

There's always a probability that something bad will happen to you wherever you are (car crash, train accident, plane falling down with 100s of passenger, shooting in a school or university, cancer, aids, explosions, wars)...so I think Lebanon is as safe as anywhere would be...or maybe I want to believe that so I could keep living...actually I live everyday like it was my last, I thank God I'm alive at the end of the day when I go to bed and I thank God I'm alive first thing in the morning...whatever happens to me, it would be as God intended it to be.

people are brave and get on with their life, in the more dangerous parts I guess people depend on their fate and are great believers in god and dont try to escape what they are destined. Many families have "safe" places in the mountains in case things get nasty

yes i think it is .there is a lot of fighting and killing there.i would avoid that place until it calms down. thats if it ever does

it is safe coz they are sweet welcoming people and love life