Alan asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 decade ago

Why are we required to pull up airplane window shades during take-off and landing?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If there's an accident and the lights go out, at least you have light coming in from outside.

Also, you can see the conditions outside more easily.

The idea is to match the outside lighting as much as possible so that passenger's eyes don't have to adjust if they have to get out quickly.

Besides, everyone should be awake on landing anyway!

Source(s): Former F/A
  • I second Eclipsepearl's reply. Having the window shade up for take off and landing allow the flight crew to assess the situation outside the aircraft in the event of an emergency.

It sounds silly, but every second counts in the event of an evacuation. Be a pal, help your flight crew out! :-) We really appreciate it! Have a safe flight!

Source(s): me, former flight attendant
  • jammal
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

maybe to prevent us from feeling the high speed of the plane,since we are so close to earth in landing and take-off,we will have a reference point, that will show us how speedy is the plane.

• 1 decade ago

it's for safety reason in case the plane crash and passengers eyes can adept to the light or the darkness.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

For non-window seat passengers wanting to see the scenery.

• 1 decade ago

seriously? i've never been required to do that on any flight.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Probably in case someone sees something wrong with the wings they can call it out.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.