Parents~ Do You Worry About How TV, Music & our Societies Attitudes Are Influencing Your Child?

How do you fight this outside influence?

Favorite Answer

My ex-husband allowed my son to watch rated pg-13 and R movies and play Mature rated video games while he was visiting him, since the age of four. My son would play more roughly than other children and say things that really made it clear that TV and Games can affect his thoughts. My boy is a great kid and very helpful, but these behaviors became frightening. I took him to a Psychiatrist and got some help in how to discipline him when he behaved this way, but it came down to not letting these influences around him. There's not much I can do outside of my home and influence, but everything from not letting him see commercials to not letting him watch any shows that suggest lying or violence (or any other behavior you don't want your kid to have). That's all I can suggest. Invite good things into your home, pick your battles and love your children. Be their example. These are the best suggestions I have.

No I dont, but I am not the average parent either. Since my kids were knee high to a grasshopper I have been teaching them right from worng and the effect of thier decisions. How their decisions can chnage their lives 10,15,20 years down the road. How they are responsible for the rewards and consequences of all thier decisions.

This seems to have worked. Now they are all grown. While they arent perfect kids (they smoke and sometimes drink with their friends) they are NOT the bad kids out doing drugs and all the bad crapppola you hear about in music now-a-days.

You have to catch them before they get into the school system. Start young....take a vital interest in their daily activities and who they want to hang out with. Take an interest in what they are doing with their friends. When you see something going wrong - step in and fix it right there on the spot - dont wait till you get - fix it right up front - in front of everyone....that way they all know where you are coming from.

I watch movies, but I don't watch tv, but that was a conscious decision I made when I was 13. Some people say terrorism is the greatest threat to our country. I'm going to argue and say that television is the greatest danger to our society.

The best thing to do is turn it off. It's mental poison and it has brainwashed the US. Surround your children with books and take them to the library or places like Barnes and Nobles. Make compromises where you will let your children have one tv night a week for every book they finish in a month or something like that.

Source(s): Someone that doesn't watch tv

If they don't they, should.. you put blocks own your TV...and start when they are very young..Take control of Your House and what goes own in it..after all your are the parents, not the children... You pay the bills. When they start paying their own bills that is a different story, But always stand you ground with your children. God bless

Of course I do, yet I can not hold my child in a bubble and create a ficticous world for them to live in. What they do need to know is what is wrong and right, just and unjust. As far as what they watch........ let their mother the couch potatoe take care of that, she cant take her chubby cheetos cheesy fingers off of it.