Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dog Adoption?

I've been trying to adopt a dog for a few months now. I'm geting really frustrated because I thought it would be easier than this. The dogs I want are always taken by the time I put my application in! Has anyone else adopted their dog? If so, did it take a long time?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Bambi
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I volunteer with rescues, and I understand how you feel. Sometimes, the really adoptable dogs go so fast, and more than one person wants them. Your situation is unusual, though. I would say just next time you find one you like, jump on it!

• 1 decade ago

why is it taking you so long to have your application in? I put in my application on a Saturday and on Sunday they called just to make sure I have prove that own a house and it was done. At another shelter I took my prove with me and it was approved the next day. I could have picked up the dog the next day but we had to neutered him first that's why in conclusion it didn't take a long time at all and we got the puppy we chose. Don't they keep the puppy for you if you tell them that you want it? How many shelter are you applying for?

• 1 decade ago

Really i got mine right away. If they allow you too and you want to wait and see if you still like it the next day you can ask to put the dog on hold and you can fill out your application right away becuase you can always back out not that you should but when maybe those dogs just weren't the right ones for you when its time you will have the dog.

• Erin B
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

I went in person to my local shelter and just pointed out the dog I wanted. They took it out and handed it to me, and I filled out the paperwork on the spot. It didn't even take me 10 minutes to get my dog. (I wanted a large breed puppy, and it was the only one fitting my criteria so I took her) I dunno if you're looking online, or if there are just really strict regulations in your area, but adopting at a shelter usually takes very little time and effort. You could also try checking in your local paper for give aways, they generally aren't picky about doing applications and you can find all types of free puppies that might end up in the pound otherwise.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

i got my dog at the Pound i did not wait long at all. I think the adoption place s are a lot my picky then the used to be maybe put in applications every where you can with what type of dog you are looking for and when one comes in they will call you Have you tried pet-finder.com

• 1 decade ago

Check and see if you have craigslist.org in your area. I live in California and there are always lots of animals on there that need a good home. Some are just private individuals and some are rescues. Good Luck on getting your new dog.

• 1 decade ago

i am a foster mom for a dog rescue, sometimes people are on hold with thier applications and they pick the person who matches the dogs needs the best. if your interested in a shar pei theres lots at our site sharpeirescueofva.org

• 1 decade ago

Have you looked at your local pound? they usually have a good choice of wonderful dogs.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

where are you adopting from? ease of adoption is based solely on the agency.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

*I* BUY or BREED QUALITY animals...NOT "adopt" some POS MUTT/MONGREL from a pound!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.