Is it okay to leave your 2 year old in the bath unattended for even only 15 seconds?

My boyfriend thinks it is OK to be giving my 2 yr old a bath, and walk out of the bathroom to get something. Am I crazy, or am I right when I say he CANNOT do that?

Favorite Answer

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! NEVER LEAVE YOUR BABY IN THE BATHTUB UNATTENDED! NOT EVEN FOR 1 SECOND (AND CERTAINLY NOT FOR 15)! CHILDREN DROWN EVERYDAY AND YOU ALWAYS HEAR THE PARENTS SAYING "I ONLY TURNED MY BACK FOR A SECOND..."

Just look at the depth of the water, compared with the size of the baby's nose, and you will see that he could drown if he tipped over. Another danger is that he might turn on the hot water and scald himself.

Never leave a 2 yr-old alone in the bath. There's no guarantee you will be back in 15 seconds, either..

What if the phone rang? Or the doorbell? If you must leave the room, grab the kid, throw a towel around him and take him along.

It only take a second for something to happen. Not only could he drown but slip and hit his head or even turn the hot water on and burn himself. I have a 2.5 year old. I know she would be up to no good if i ever left the room. More accidents happen in the bathroom then any other room of the house.

Now it all depends. Is your child JUST turning 2, or is he/she almost 3?

It all depends on how your child acts in the bathtub. Does he/she frequently stand up and sit down to play or does he mostly sit down and play with toys? Only you can judge how well behaved your child is in the bathtub, and whether or not you have that window of opportunity to run out and grab the phone! More than likely if you leave, your child is just going to pull the drain and let the water out lol.

If you gotta leave the room for 15 seconds to get the phone then I dont see a problem with it. It takes up to 4 minutes for a person to drown and I doubt your child is going to drown in less than 15 seconds. Just don't leave the room for much longer than that!

If you gotta leave the room for something... have your husband bring it to you if you're worried about it.

NO!!! It takes only seconds for a child to drown! Dont ever answer the phone or look away from any child in the bath for even 1 second. It could be the difference of life or death. And if the child dies he will probably be charged with negliect or they may think he killed the child. YOU ARE CORRECT.

Dont let your BF bathe YOUR CHILD THEN. He has proven himself incompetent and it would be your fault if your child dies. You have an obligation to protect your child from incompetent people!

Anytime a child is in the bath they should be supervised until they are old enough. I have heard of mothers just running out of the room and grabbing the phone and running back to find their child drowning! It DOES happen in seconds! The younger the child the less reflexes to those sort of things they have. Its scarey to think your child could die in just mere seconds but it does open your eyes to the real dangers to look out for. Your man needs a smack in the face so he can see that something really could happen. Just let him know you would rather be overly safe than sorry! Good luck hun!

You are right, he is the crazy one. You should never leave your children unattended in the bath tub at such a young age. It only takes 1 second for your child to slip under the water and drown. By the time he gets back, it could be too late.

Kids can drown in as little as an inch of water. And, more shockingly, nine out of 10 drownings occur when a child is being supervised. It only takes a second for water to get into their lungs. Always supervise the baby. If you have to get something or turn around pick your child up out of the water.

tell him that it is NOT OK! A child that young can slip and hit there head, then go under water and could possible drown!

Don't let him give your child a bath if he continues to do this, make sure everything he needs is in the bathroom before he puts your baby in the bath.

You are not crazy! You can not leave him alone in a bath for 1 second! Your child needs you to care for him, and protect him. Tell boyfriend to take a hike!

you are completly right. i have a niece that just turned 2 in may and i never leave her alone when i am bathing her. That is the wronge thing to do. a child could drown in a tea spoon of water in so little timing. So I am proud that you are saying that it is wrong and that you can't or shouldn't ever leve a child alone in the bath time for any thing or any time.