How do you address God?

I have grown up in a Southern Baptist Church, but have only been a Christian for about 3 weeks. I've just been wondering recently, when you pray, should you address God as a fearsome judge, that you should be afraid of, or do you address Him as good friend? Does it matter, is it a personal choice? I'm just curious. Thank you.

Best Answer

i think it is a personal choice BUT i think you will get better results in your new way of life if you look at god as your personal friend than a fearsome judge

• I have always been taught to talk to God like he's your best friend, I believe He wants us to be open and honest with Him, not strict and formal with all the titles and "flowery" descriptions and names. But it is a personal choice too. I would just pray and say something like" God, what do you want me to call you ?" To Christians , He should not be looked at as a "fearsome judge" as you mentioned, He's a loving , caring, just God who has saved us from the wages of our sins, not this huge ruler whos waiting to stike someone down with a bolt of lightening as some people like to imagine! I hope this helps you !

• Deccie

We christians are children of god.

And god is our father, of course.

When you pray you should address god as your dear father.

Pray to him in the name of Jesus Christ during the holy spirit.

Jesus is giving an example in Matthew 6;9 (NIV):

"This, then, is how you should pray:

Our Father in heaven...."

You can start your prayer with "Dear Father" or "My Father"

or Dear God"... - it doesn't matter. This is your personal

choice.

Very importent:

You don't have to be afraid when you pray - never!!!

Because our Father is a God of love, because God is love.

1. John 4;16 (NIV):

And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.

God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in

him.

Source(s): Sorry for my bad english. I'm a german. Hope you understand everything I wrote.

You call Him, "Heavenly Father" or daddy, if that make you feel closer, then speak to Him as your dad. There is no incorrect way to speak to God--Jesus gave the disciples an example of how to pray because they asked Him. Then be sure to LISTEN! That's where our human problem comes in. Try to ("fast") do without t.v. or radio for abour an hour and just hear God speak. It's hard to do but worth it. GOD bless u.

I think the best thing I've ever heard about how to address is in the song "Been Watching You". It's a country song, but really cute. Were I inclined to speak to any deity, this would be the way I would do it.

If a son of God is calling upon God, he addresses Him as 'Father'.

Matthew 6:9

" After this manner therefore pray ye. Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. "

For more information, visit

www.theoldpath.tv

www.truthcaster.com

http://esoriano.wordpress.com

If you have accepted Christ as your personal savior then your sins have been paid for and you will not face the White Throne Judgment.

To" fear" God is to show reverence.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/fear

3 : to have a reverential awe of <fear God>

You could address Him as Heavenly Father, perhaps Abba Father - the best friend you'll ever have.

Romans 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

God bless.

Well welcome to Christianity! I've been a Christian for 27 years and I love Him just as much now as all those years back.

You can call Him Father, because you are his child. Know that He loves you to come to Him and He always answers your prayers. Be sure to read the Scriptures as much as you can, so that you can learn about Him and His character. This will be really important for you.

Have you ever wondered when yu read the prayer books and all that......who had the right to write those words? They were obviously written by men. What man or woman has the right to tell you what words you should use, or where or when you should use them? The more you ask questions the more you realise that all this mass religion is a con. I had this revelation when i was 8 years old. I havent believed a word of it since.

• dewald

I usually handle God as God or Father. renowned who he's and what He has performed. Then I handle Jesus Christ as Jesus and pray my concerns with Him. Then I handle the Holy Spirit with awe and thanksgiving for all that He does and is doing with my existence.