Are divorced/remarried people going to hell? I Corinthians 6:9?

I Corinthians 6:9 is constantly quoted as condemning homosexuals to hell. But, from a literal interpretation of scripture, it also says that adulterers will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Luke 16:18 says that adulterers are anyone who divorces and remarries another.

So, fundies, considering over 50% of the country is divorced, do you believe that all of these people are going to hell?

You tell the homosexual that the only way to get to heaven is to turn from their sin....So, likewise the only way for the divorced to turn from sin would be for them to remain celibate.

Therefore, according to a literal interpretation, if the divorced/remarried folk do not remain celibate, they will go to hell.

So, 50% of the country is divorced and

10% are gay....

Not a lot of people getting into your heaven.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • Gerry
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

This is for God to judge

• 1 decade ago

Well, I'm not a "fundie", just a Catholic.

Divorce and remarriage, absent a nullification from the church, is considered a mortal sin. However all sin can be forgiven via the sacrament of reconciliation and/or perfect contrition. One need only repent of the sin and make a proper confession. This is true of any sin.

By the way, yes, a divorced person who is not granted an annulment by the church, and who has been found to have had a valid marriage would be required to remain celibate.

• 1 decade ago

Just as with the sodomites, all that the adulterer needs to do is turn away from their sin & turn to Jesus as their Lord and Savior. It is not the sin of Sodom or adultery that ill condemn someone to Hell, although those are things that keep people from turning to Christ. What condemns someone to Hell is not trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ as Savior, as the Son of God.

You are also right that not everyone will make it. Anyone who rejects Jesus will condemn themselves to Hell.

• 4 years ago

Very good point, but go back to Matthew 5:32 and read (except for) see there are some given reasons for divorce. For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. you, me, and every one on this earth. There will most likely be much more then 50% of this country that will not see the Kingdom of God. The question is will you see the Kingdom of God?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's only my interpretation, but it would seem to me that if someone who has divorced and/or remarried outside of the conditions that are set forth and deemed acceptable pursuant to that of biblical law would in fact be living in sin. Therefor, anyone who thinks that they are going to heaven while living in sin would be living a life in that of false hope. Right?.

• 1 decade ago

i think i talked about this one time w/ someone..and they brought up an interesting point.

Husbands are supposed to Respect their Wives. and Wives are supposed to Submit to Husbands.

so, if one or both are NOT following those guides, they are already breaking the bond of marriage . how can you think God wants u to be "miserable" just cuz u got a marriage license? u have to use Common Sense.. not just what the law teaches.

as we know, literal context, as well as an Incomplete understanding of context of the passage within the specific book, as well as within the text as a Whole, will not give u the whole story, or understanding Anyways.

and remember, Jesus died for our SINS. people can change, and learn, and try to be better people. in Romans 5-8, we are Justified, and free from Punishment of all past, present and future sins.

it's your decision whether or not to Choose what is Good, Right, and Decent, or to reject the Grace that is given to us. as these chapters teach, only thru Grace can we follow the Law willingly. following the law alone, leads us to disaster.

• 1 decade ago

It also says divorce is permitted in the case of adultry God wants his children to be happy as well. If you have truly accpted Jesus Christ as your Personal Savior and ask for His forgiveness, then you will go to Heaven. Read the Bible. Christians aren't perfect, no one is, only God

• 1 decade ago

I'm not quite sure what a fundie is but the bible does teach that divorce for any reason other than adultery is sinful. Matt.19:9

• cmw
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If the information you posted on your profile is even partly true, you already know the answer to your question. I guess we can conclude you're trolling.

P.S. It's the born again part.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nothing worse than an atheist quoting the bible - you claim to be Christian but no true Christian would post such anti Christian stuff!!!

Come on get real - what are you afraid off?

Why attack something and ask inane questions?

Perhaps you are uncertain - worried - afraid!!!!!!

Try honesty!!!

• 1 decade ago

According to you guys it seems like everyone is going to hell!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.