Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Evolution connected to abortion?

First let me state a few things. I'm not targeting any specific people, poolitical party or religion. I simply had a thought last night and wanted to pose the question in an attempt to spark healthy, bi-partisan debate. I'm not attacking anyone, I have a genuine interest in learning.

This is not a rhetoric question and I am requesting that only civic answers be given.

That being said, here's the question.

For those who believe in evolution AND are pro-choice (or anyone with an opinion), If all life evolved from single cell organisms, how does that co-exist with your views on abortion rights? If all life can come from these organisms, is a fetus not essentially "alive"?

Thank you all!!

*Edit* Clarification.

I guess my question is if we can consider the possibility that life came from single cell organisms (which I do not discount), they must have been "alive" in at least a basic sense of th word. Relate that to an unborn fetus, it is much more than a single celled organism, if the former can be considered life, or at least a source of life, do you or do you not consider an unborn fetus to be of that same quaility? Do you consider it to be more? Less?

Favorite Answer

I was actually thinking about this very thing last night. If ability to exist independently is the determinant for value of life, where does that put those in persistent vegetative states?

They are incapable of being "viable" (a synonym for independently alive) therefore, are logically in danger of being...eliminated, should our financial or emotional state demand it. Or, if it is too embarrassing to have a family member or loved one in a persistent vegetative state. Or if we just don't want to take responsibility for caring for them until they are capable of taking care of themselves.

What about those with any of the various forms of dementia? Or mental retardation? They certainly are "parasites" by certain definitions.

I believe that such widespread acceptance of abortion on demand puts us on a "slippery slope" to the same mentality that allowed the German people to look the other way and refuse to fight against the Nazis who were selecting more than just Jews to eliminate. And, probably not coincidentally, were OK with abortion.

After going through the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC, I had a whole new perspective on things. (I am not Jewish, BTW.)

If you had said a zygote or embryo, I could take your argument a little more seriously. Because they are on par with single celled organisms. A fetus is a much more complex being.

A zygote is the potential for life, sometimes they die, or fail to implant, REGARDLESS of birth control use or not.

That is natural selection at work.

Even if it does implant and develop, a human fetus is still subject to natural selection; a miscarriage, or natural death in utero.

Abortion is not always the answer, but I do not believe anyone should interfere with another person's right to make a personal decision. Legal or not, women will seek them out, and you cannot stop them.

They have to live with the decision they made, no one else.

• Evolution is not a belief.

It is a culmination of scientific research.

It is THE explanation of the origins and development of life.

That said, I will play your game.

I believe in evoultion. I also believe that I have no business telling someone what they can or cannot do to/with their own body. As an atheist, I do not believe in the religious fairy tale.

Therefore, I do not harbor the delusion that there is an invisible man telling me to force my beliefs on to others.

Abortion is not a good thing. Yet, as a male, I will never have to make that choice.

It is allowed in this country, by law.

The laws of this country are more important than any fictional book, like the bible.

And, FYI, polls show that 90% of ALL people WOULD have an abortion in the case of rape, incest, or a fetus with a major physical disfigurement of profound mental problems. That points to the inconsistencies of 'faith'.

I don't think anyone denies that a fetus is alive. Some deny that a fetus, even when 90% delivered, isn't human. Olthers believe that a fertilized egg is a human. That is the source of debate.

How can a fetus not be alive when at six months it functions like every one of us with brain activity, a heartbeat, movement and has the potential to live outside of the uterus? As for the evolution part, I need a bit more clarification on what you are trying to ask. Great question, though.

A fetus is alive as soon as fertilization occures. Ok, way back then abortion happened naturally. Now, of course, it can happen naturally or one can choose it. That is the difference.

If the abortion happens naturally, it is the same for then as now. since our ancestors couldn't really choose to abort a fetus and we can now, I would consider today's non natural abortion of a fetus to be a little more important of an issue. Today's fetus is of more quality because it is more advanced.

Broccoli starts out as a single cell also, life yes, but I don't think we can correlate that with human life.

If it has a non mechanical heart beat then it is "alive". Can a human survive without a heartbeat?

• sprcpt

Single cell organisms can exist without the host and can reproduce on their own. As soon as cell division occurs, it is a fully formed adult capable of it's own reproduction.

A fetus cannot survive without a host and is nowhere even close to being fully formed and is essentially a parasitic growth in the host.

Yes, of course it is a living cell, nobody's disputing that. But it is not the same as a human being. It is not an independent being.

And the connection you're trying to make to evolution is tenuous at best.

It seems to me to be an apple and oranges thing. Natural selection (evolution) and choice for reproduction (abortion) seem to be in different ball parks.

But I appreciate you putting out a thinking question instead of a rant. Thanks.