missmayzie asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Are amalgam fillings in teeth the same as mercury ? If so - are they always silver ?

Favorite Answer

Amalgam fillings contain mercury. The full name is : silver amalgams, so yes, they are always silver. You can get them replaced with plastic or porcelan fillings, but you will have to pay because it is considered cosmetic in every state except CA (where they don't use silver amalgam fillings). I got mine done a few years ago. It is also important that the person you get to do it, understands that they are removing something potentially dangerous from your skull and prepares your body for that and give you proper protection during the procedure (not allowing you to swallow pieces of the amalgam removed). My dentist gave me Selenium to take for a few weeks before he took the fillings out.

Amalgam is a mixture of silver and mercury (and, apparently, a bit of copper).

I highly doubt that there is much mercury in these fillings. I don't see how it would be possible considering mercury is liquid at room temperature.

yes. they are made of 50% mercury, and then the other 50% are split between copper, tin, and zinc

they are very hazardous and i wouldnt reccomend them to anyone. i would reccomend gettting the porcelain fillings.

and yes theyre always silver if u get the almagam