Pepe asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

waht happens if your dog loses patces of hair?

I think my dog is sick

Favorite Answer

I would definitely check him into a vet - he could be suffering from something called hypo- or hyper-thyroidism. Is the hair missing near his rib cage and hind legs? If he is suffering from hair loss, he could also be noticeably gaining or losing a lot of weight, or suddenly become overly anxious or overly unmotivated lately. I would have the vet check him over and ask about his thyroid in particular. If the animal does have it, it can be cured with meds. Good luck!

Source(s): I once owned a boxer that experienced hypothyroidism.

It could be a number of things. The worse thing it could be is mange which is very contagious and should be treated. Some dogs are allergic to fleas and this can cause lose of hair from excessive scratching, biting and chewing. Dogs who have thyroid problems can have hair lose as well. Or your dog could be suffering from a skin allergy. Best thing would be to take him to your vet and he/she will be able to analyze the hair loss.

Try asking a vet or schedduling an appointment for your dog's hair problem. Also try looking up this matter on the Internet. You may find that this is a sign of oldness or sickness. Also try washing your dog or brushing him. All you can really do is find out about it.

Possible Reasons:

Mange

Ringworm

Allergies

Chemicals

Mites

Mange. A fungus infection which could also spread.

Ringworm - A fungus which can spread to you, too.

Did your dog get in touch with some chemicals? Possible weed killers, bleach/cleaners for a pool?

What you need to do is, you take your dog to the vet for a SKIN SCRAPING to be able to test the condition of your dog's skin.

What breed is it, may I ask?

Some breeds like Corgies for example also suffer from mites. They are genetic mites, meaning they are not contagous but are past on generation to generation of none-quality breeding.

Bad diets, like 'Ol Roy, can cause a dog to loose fur, too.

Source(s): I also rescue and many dogs have "Issues"

He might have allergies. I have a 7 year old Chocolate lab mix and he's allergic to the grass and in the summer he loses hair. Also it could be a sign of mange.

Could be mange, if older your dog could have a thyroid condition, or cushings disease. Some dogs lose hair becuase they are matted as well.

• DP

If my dog was losing patches of hair, I would take him to the vet, unless it was normal shedding.

Take it to the vet., thats what you do when your dog loses patches of hair!!

there are nutritional things that can cause hair loss however i think your dog may have a condition known as mange. you should take him to a vet as soon as possible or he will get sicker.

it could have mange and need to be seen by a vet a.s.a.p.. Some dogs will eat raw spots on theirselves if they have a bad flea problem also