Agree or Disagree: All authority should be questioned to determine whether it is worthwhile and/or valuable?

This includes God, political power, science, norms, traditions, etc.

Include your religion, if any, and why you feel this way.

I will try to not get involved in the discussion, but the temptation of joining may be too great for me.

Disappointed in the number of responses. Oh well...

Someone has raised the issue of questioning too much, which might lead to chaos. There's also the matter of not knowing what is right or wrong. I'll address both briefly.

First matter: I'm not really sure how this would lead to chaos. I think that's a misunderstanding. Typically we try to create order out of chaos, which means fundamental principles as foundations. We have to accept some things in life as true in order to live, some things in order to live in a society, and some things in order to live freely in that society. This concept might be worthy of discussion, but I really didn't mean it that deeply. I meant authority figures or powers that make people do what they want.

Second matter: I'm not sure if you were making any point against my question, but just in case... There doesn't have to be a universal right and wrong here to make progress. The problem is when people grab onto things without a second thought.

Where are the religious? I thought the idea of questioning God would get some people angry, as it has in the past.

Favorite Answer

Agree. One must always question in order to learn ... not simply accept blindly what one is told. Investigate and through experience prove the validity of any principle.

Surat Shabda Yoga

Even God expects folks to search for the truth and not to take any man's word for things.

Acts 17:10 And the brothers straight away sent Paul and Silas away by night to Beroea: and they, when they came there, went to the Synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now these were more noble than the Jews of Thessalonica, for they gave serious attention to the word, searching in the holy Writings every day, to see if these things were so.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

1Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Now, some things might be dangerous to question, like the Department of Homeland Security, for instance. If you were living in a muslim country (and a few others like China), it would be prudent to keep quiet about certain lines of questioning. Also, it would be prudent to limit the amount of information sites like Yahoo have on you, I assume you all read the disclaimer that they collect information about thier users. Did you also know that they cooperated with the Chinese authorities to crack down on dissidents?

We all need to think we are from Missouri.

My religion? I am simply a member of the Church of God.

When you truly think things out:

In an argument, both sides believe that they are right. And as everyone will develop an opinion, there can't really be a mediator. So, how do we EVER know what is right, and what is wrong? Exactly; we don't.

So, there are people that agree with a ruler, and there are people that do not. The best thing we can do regarding positions of power, is making an informed decision.

This would most certainly include challenged and questions.

I am atheist/LaVeyan Satanist.

I don't look at as questioning of authority as much as looking for truth.

We need a starting point which is the authority which is at hand. There has to be order of some sort at any time.

If we start with questioning every thing we may well end up with chaos.

We must look for knowledge where ever we can.

As we find out more it may lead us to doubt authority, or ways to make it better.

Agree; although you need to add corrupt to the list.

Agnostic, between atheism and nirvana.

All groups of humankind lead to a hierarchical structure, and those that are in charge need to have the best interests of the group in mind, not their own.

• Sean

I question everything constantly including myself. Not only does it keep you out in front of everything it's also fun.

I learn about religion but follow none, I don't follow atheist or agnostic ideas either because their an organization themselves. I'm just me :)

Oh totally 100% agree.

Agree.

I'm an Agnostic.

If I'm going to follow something, you bet your sweet butt I'm going to make damn sure I know what it is and why I'm following it.

status of authority should be earned, not implied

Yes, but it should be tested by the bible