How fast can a bear run/move??

I am just wondering how fast a bear can move/run? I dont care what kind of bear. Black, grizzley, ok i hope you get it. Not like panda bears and all that but the kind of bear you find in the u.s. like down south. I need as acurate info as I can get. This is for a report. What is the difference between all of the different bear? please be as serious as you can. Thank you. Anyone who answers is what the report is based on. This is to see how many people actually agree and then AI have to do true research. Thanks and if you need more detail please say so. Thanks again for all who participate.

Favorite Answer

The fastest bear is the Black Bear, followed by the Grizzly, then the Brown and the Polar Bear. In short, the larger the bear the slower it is. Keep in mind that even the slowest bear can still move it out at about 30 mph. The Black Bear is a better "broken field" (i.e., nimble) runner than the others who tend to bulldoze through obstacles. Black Bears are more shy than the others. Grizzly and Brown more aggressive than the others. Polar Bears often exhibit odd behaviors such as playing with sled dogs near camps. There are a number of differences between the bears but most notable is sheer size. Black Bears are the smallest, followed by the Grizzly; Browns and Polar Bears, on average, are supposed to be about the same size but I'd give the nod to the Polar Bear.

A new Forest Ranger started working at Glacier National Park, in Montana, recently. He was concerned about the number of Grizzly Bear attacks recently reported. He asked the older Rangers what to do about the threat. He was told to carry 10% Pepper Spray to fend off the attack, to wear small bells on his uniform to possibly scare the bears away from him, and, finally, to watch for bear sign. He asked what bear sign looked like and was told, "Look for large mounds of poop that smells like pepper and is full of little bells.

First I'm a Bear attack survivor. When I was young I found my self between a Bear and her cub and have a few scars to prove it.Black Bears can sprint as fast as a horse for short distance but not down hill there legs are shorter up front and will run alongside a hill towards the bottom a grizzly can do it all and with more voracity than a black Bear. However they can travel a longer distance than a black looking for food. Note: My birth day present that was 3 years old at the time of the attack was about 1/4 mile from me when he heard my scream boy to this day I still love a good Shepard/rott mix of dogs breed. he ripped that Bear a new you know what. plus I put about 15-22 long rifle rounds into the Bear. Michigan.Need a good Bear repellent I bought a new one after this attack My grandfather upgraded my 22 too a 44 auto loader I still love the woods but you can arrest me I carry the 44 tough.

Faster than you can run. If one comes after you and you run, it will catch you. The only chance you have is to head down a steep hill. Since all of their real power is in their back legs, they can not go as fast down hill.

Brown bears can do 35 mph....

Grizzly can also do 35 mph and have been clocked by car.

Black bears can do 30 mph.

Recommended actions are either real strong anti-bear pepper spray and hope that stops the bear or a big caliber handgun such as the Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull that WILL stop the bear.

• ?

Improve Your Running Technique Now!

• hunter

Very fast like the others said aprox .30mph. and people used to say a black bear can't run downhill and I had no other choice but believe them until a bunch of years ago we witness one running downhill toward a lake and that mind set changed fast.Another time I saw one cross a piece of country on the run in about a three minutes flat that took us aprox. one and a half (difficult)hours that same morning.

• River

In spite of their size, some have been clocked at speeds in excess of 56 km/h (35 mph). Along with their strength and deceptive speed, brown bears are legendary for their stamina. They are capable of running at full speed for miles at a time without stopping.

Source(s): Former Guide
  • H

I've never clocked a bear on the run but I can say this:

It is a quirp of nature that any animal on four legs is going to be faster than a man on two legs.

H

I would suggest that you consult Discovery.com, they have done several programs about bears. As my feeble memory serves me, the speed of 30 MPH for a grizzly bear at full charge is not unheard of. I am not really sure who would have the nerve to hold a radar gun on one.

• DJ

Brown bears, Griz and Kodiacs, 35 mph full speed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Bear

American Black bears, 30mph

http://www.bear.org/Kids/Black_Bear_Facts_Kids.htm...

a grizzly can run fast enough to take down an elk. i don't know the exact speed, but i would guess about 35 to 45 mph.

Source(s): seen it happen.