My mom who is in her early 60's thinks internet is a waste of time and won't learn it. I wonder why?

Favorite Answer

Because she's lived her entire life without it. She knows for a fact that she doesn't need it.

Some people are more comfortable sticking with their old habits and not changing. It has more to do with personality than age. My dad is a lot older than your mom but he's on the internet all the time. I'm a lot younger and I dont' care about new technology unless I'm already using it. I still don't own a cellphone but maybe one day we'll all be forced to!

First of all she has seen many things come and go in her lifetime and now she is faced with technology that she does not understand nor the capacity as a tool the computer has. It might be that she does not need someone telling her the benefits but showing her. After leading the horse to the lake he does not have to have his head pushed into the water, getting to the lake because of dissorientation might be the problem.

• P S

Respectfully, I think the question should be, "Why can't I accept my mother's disinterest in the internet?" Even though you love it, she, (and a lot of my friends), don't have much interest in the internet. They would rather be with other people, read a book, watch TV, etc. Your mother's habits have been forming for many years. Many people find it boring, lonely and don't have a need for it. Your mother has been forming her habits for years and hopefully she enjoys her life. Why not try to talk to her about things that interest her, instead of trying to change her to your interests?

I'm in my early 60s and I LOVE it! She is probably afraid that it will be difficult, and then she'll look bad in the eyes of her kids.

Hope you get her to change her mind. It opens up a whole new world, doesn't it?! : )

Mine is in her 80's and feels the same. They don't see the value, the use fullness. Maybe you could ask her what she might like to know about, and research it on line for her, show her. Maybe do a family ancestry on line and show her. Or better yet, show her how easy it is to buy stuff on line!

my parents are the same, I guess they figure they never needded it before so why begin now. If she really does not need it for anything just let her think what she wants, and contune on, no worries!

Because it is so addictive. Try not to go on for 2 weeks you will see.

THAT WOULD DEPEND ON HOW YOU USE INTERNET.......WELL IN MY CASE, I USE THE INTERNET TO LEARN ALOT OF THINGS. I DO THE RESEARCH WHILE I'M AT WORK...........MOST OF ALL I GOT MY JOB THROUGH THER INTERNET...I JUST APPLIED ON LINE

Everyone has different oppinions hon.