Does a man have as much support when his ex does not follow a divorce decree?

When a man does not pay child support, women have free centers to go to for help to force the man to pay. What about the man? When his ex decides to violate the terms of the divorce decree, does he have free support groups to make the woman comply? Or does he really have to get a lawyer and file a case. Some women take advantage of the fact that some men could not afford to pay for a lawyer.

Favorite Answer

Yes, men do have the same support available if they are low income.

BTW, most of those organizations that help women get their back support also take a percentage of the support as a fee. They aren't free, they just don't get payment up front.

If the man you are asking about needs to have the divorce decree enforced, he can seek legal help through a variety of legal aid societies, seek help from the state agency who handles such matters or file a motion himself and bring his case back before a judge.

If it is an issue other than seeking child support that's not being paid, I think either parent would have to take the other to court. I don't think it is an issue of which parent, male or female, it is. This is why so many people, both mothers and fathers, get away with not following the court orders. The other parent can't afford to take them back to court and they know it. I just know that if my ex husband didn't follow the courts orders (other than paying child support) I would have to take him to court. I am not sure how it works for not following court ordered visitation. You maybe could call the police and show your divorce papers and make them enforce the visitation but I have heard of parents having to take each other to court for that too.

Yeah, he does but without an attorney it is very hard. It is called contempt and is enforceable. Start a journal, and write down everything that happens and soon you will see a trend. Put names dates and places of violations, declarations and keep the entire record then file charges for contempt and custody of your children. The same system is the one she used works for you, but only if you use it.

• Orion

Our public aids system in Illinois is set up to help any parent who isn't paying child support. It doesn't matter if they are male or female. They can go to the office and ask for assistance in getting the money.

If the exwife is in contempt of the court - of course he has the right to do something - call the prosectuor!!