Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetOther - Computers · 1 decade ago

Why can't my computer go to a website that others can access?

I am having a rather unique problem...

I am able to go to any website that I want to with my computer, as long as it is connected to the internet.

Any website, that is, *except* for this one...I won't put the address here, because I don't want them yelling at me about bandwidth. But this is the address format:

http://xxxxxxxxxx2.xxxxxxxxx.net/x/xxx3.html

I have asked friends if they are able to go to this site on their computer, and they are able to.

I am not able to. I try, and all I get is the 'Page Cannot Be Displayed' message, cannot find server, blah blah.

I have also tried typing in 'www' in the appropriate place (after 'http://'),/ but that doesn't work either.

I have tried emptying temp internet files, refreshing, rebooting, etc. I am still unable to access this website.

Does anyone know what might be causing this, and/or how to fix it?

I forgot to say, it is terribly unlikely that my IP address was blocked, as I have seldom visited the site. And when I visited it, it was for short times, and only to read a couple of thing. (This is a site which hosts fictional stories that people can read for free.)

It's not in a foreign language, and I have also tried clicking on the link where I was supposed to, on it's parent website. Still no good.

***PING***

ping www.xxxxxxxxxx1.xxxxxxxxx.net

request timed out

request timed out

request timed out

request timed out

100% loss

***PING***

ping http://xxxxxxxxxx1.xxxxxxxxx.net/

request timed out

request timed out

request timed out

request timed out

100% loss

...weirdness...

Favorite Answer

Possible Solutions:

-Your browser is not updated or not supported. Some sites no longer support IE6. Try downloading IE7 (Windows Update) or Firefox 2 (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/)

Problems that could arise from not having your browser updated, generally the lack thereof

The encryption standard

Bug fixes for common domain name lookup errors. Many early browsers seem to have problems handling subdomains other than www., including the lack of a www., i.e., http://this.something.top_level_domain/

IP version 6 support

New TLDs support

Unicode URL support

DO THIS ESPECIALLY IF YOU WERE NEVER ABLE TO ACCESS THIS SITE BEFORE ON YOUR COMPUTER

-A firewall or router is blocking the connection.

Considering your web browser can connect to the internet at all, which I am daring to assume, I doubt a router is blocking it (unless the website is very strange and does not use port 88 I believe). However Firewall, Parental Control or even Ad-blocking may be disabling you from viewing this site. Consult your security software's manual or simply open your program up and look for settings. Disable parental control, ad blocking, and firewall and try to view the website.

Some ISPs have features for blocking it on a higher level than your computer's software (i.e., proxies), so if you have access, check your settings in the administrator's account on your ISPs webpage.

Is the site using a secure connection? Many early attempts my major corporations to develop firewall software blocked access to secure sites.

-You are not connected to the internet

-The site no longer exists at that location; i.e., update your bookmark. Try searching it to find an updated link.

Do this on a computer that can access the website and on your computer and compare the difference.

Open up the command prompt (Start -> Run -> CMD), and type ping www.whateverthesite.net. It should say something like this:

ping www.yahoo.com

Pinging www.yahoo-ht3.akadns.net [209.131.36.158] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=33ms TTL=53

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=54

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=51

Reply from 209.131.36.158: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=53

I have a feeling that for whatever reason the DNS server on your computer is not resolving the IP address of that website correctly, and that would be indicated by your computer not getting the numbers in the [ and ] brackets in the Pinging line.

Without knowing the results of the above test, it'd be really difficult to troubleshoot further.

I see that you've done the ping, and the fact that you received Request timed out message means that your computer is resolving the hostname. Does the IP address match up with the one your friend gets?

If you are using Internet Explorer you may want to check under Tools/ Internet Options/ Security/ Restricted Sites to see if that site is being blocked.

Is the website in a Foreign language?

If so, your computer may not have the correct language files to access it.

• boarts

first ingredient, if this is from a school or place of employment their firewall is probably blockading the positioning, you may no longer exchange this. next ingredient, YOUR firewall settings, verify the secure practices panel and spot if this internet site is blocked.

You want to go to Linkz.com? What for?