RP12' asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Is this unusual?

I caught a Bluegill today that must have been a pounder or so and on the underneath of it's mouth to the underneath of it's gills it was purple- a light purple sort of like the color "Lilac". What could be the cause of this?

Favorite Answer

If you're talking about the oxygen filtering part of the gill that is normally a bright red, it would sound like the water is a bit oxygen poor. Blood deficient in oxygen appears purplish.

If you're talking about scales... that's easier. There are a BUNCH of hybrid bluegill being released left, right, and center... apparently because they grow bigger faster. I don't like it, personally because it downgrades the thrill of a big catch. But, it's all the rage now.

These hybrids come in a range of colors and variations, but here's a link with something close to what you describe.

http://forums.aquariumhobbyist.com/view.php?id=164...

Maybe its environmental, but my best guess is that its a genetic mutation or natural selection.

pollution