How can I get my downstairs neighbours to be less annoying without starting a war?

I live in a duplex (up and down). The place used to be a single occupancy house, so we have to share heat and hot water. It is a no smoking suite.

We were kind enough to offer the neighbours the garage even though we pay more and have a bigger suite.

We are in our 20's and they are in their 50's.

There is a married couple and then 2 of their male friends.

The woman works part time and the man is suffering from lung cancer and kidney failure. They are ALWAYS smoking in the garage with the door to the main area open. As a result our NO SMOKING apartment reeks.

They have a very loud dog that they never have on a leash that they are always yelling at.

They listen to loud country music in the garage which is right under our living room so we can't watch T.V.

How do we tell them, being younger, that their behaviour is out of line and be taken seriously?

Favorite Answer

let it ride till the old man kicks the bucket

Do you own the duplex? If not I would write a letter to the tenants downstairs and send one to the landlord. If this is a non smoking apartment then that should be in their lease/rental agreement.

if the man is diing from lung cancer they will be wired and hurting and unreceptive.

it wont be a long processes so find it in your heart to buy an ionizer or hope your medical studies go well or you find the fountain of life because kiddo you will be in their shoes soon enough

write them a letter. put it on their door. be nice

if it doesnt work .

be mean

that doesnt work

kick them to the curb.

ps..

stay gangsta