American deciding to study law in Canada ?

I'm planning to move to Canada by years end. And I was wondering if studying Canadian law and taking poli sci classes there would be similar to the states. I ask this cause I eventually plan to move back.

Favorite Answer

We'd love to have you come to study, and both law and political science are engaging fields. But if you plan to go back to the US, you would be better off to stay there and take those particular subjects there. US law and Canadian law are not interchangeable, and US politics don't bear a great deal of similarity to Canadian politics.

That would probably make it difficult for you. If you studied law in Canada you'd become a qualified Canadian lawyer. The laws are similar but there are still many many differences that would mean you would have to be requalified and probably take additional courses to practice in the US.

then youd have to take law in the US to be a qualified lawyer here