kitty asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 1 decade ago

do people become mean when they are lonely?

I have a friend and usually she is home alone. She stays home a lot and she's slways alone. She rejects anyone. And she doesn't like to go anywhere but stay home. She became mean too. Is her loneliness the reason why?

She also tells me that her sister is really cruel to her (not as abuse). And her parents are never there. Her brother is really mean to her too. SO she is basically alone.

I can't really get her to go out. She refuses to go. And she bottles up her feelings. She doesn't like to tell anyone her feelings.

Favorite Answer

Yeah she sounds depressed and very lonely and maybe like she really has nothing to go out for. Maybe try visiting even though she doesn't want you to and tell you that you really care about her and want to help her get back to herself. Maybe she needs to see a doctor.

Really depends on the person. I mean I stay home alot and sometimes I feel like I'm mad at the world, but its just not the case. I mean she can get out and find new hobbies to participate in and she won't feel so lonely if she is that type of a person. Other people at times though who are lonely do become pretty jaded. Which is just not good at all either. And they make excuses fro being alone too.

Isolation is the welcome mat for the Devil. Sounds like an ancient proverb from Grandma , but it is so true. This may be the case with your friend. She needs company, but the more she stays out of contact with the rest of the world, the easier it is to keep them at a distance. But then, who knows, she can be depressed. That usually includes anger issues. Try to strike up a friendly convo with her soon. Maybe she'll open up to someone genuinely interested in her problems.

yes, I am fighting this too. I have stopped dating due to bad experiences and have been alone for a while. I don't drink, I don't go out, and I don't date. And over the last 6mos I can feel that my temper is shorter, my feelings for others is less and less, and in general I am not a "happy camper". Being alone is hard. Feeling alone hurts.

Some people turn bitter when they are lonely. Your friend may suffer from depression due to her staying home alone alot. You should take her out so she can slowly develop a social life.

Depends on what you mean. Does she FEEL alone or is she just plain alone?

I enjoy being alone (I have friends and do get out of the house tho), and I have my moments like everyone, so you can't really say being alone or feeling alone makes any difference on personality.

Her meanness could be the result of her hiding some fear of going out, being around other people and socializing. She may be taking offense when you continuously ask her to join your friends.

Try hanging out more at her place and see if she opens up to you then. Maybe you can get her out of her shell.

Good Luck!

I dont think lonely people become mean, but i do believe they create many of their own negative opinions about many things because they are probably not happy with the way their life is going.

This could be possible. She may have so much built up inside of her that she just doesn't know how to deal with it!

Try your best to talk to her and find out what the deal is.

Source(s): My life.

yes, people can become bitter when they are alone- some may feel excluded while others welcome being alone. when you don't interact with other people you cram yourself into your own world and you don't have to be nice to anyone but yourself and that is not healthy, because being humans we have to interact with each other- it is our nature. try and connect with your friend- even if it is on her level, meaning, at her house- til she wants to come out of it. whatever, just be supportive,and available