Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

How do i stop the fading of black clothes?

Favorite Answer

Turn them inside out, wash w/detergent made for dark clothes.

Well if your blacks are already faded the damage is really already done. What you can do to prevent future black clothing from fading is to NOT put them in the dryer. Also make sure you are only washing dark clothes together. Tide makes a detergent specifically for keeping your dark clothes dark, maybe try that. I hope this helps.

God bless

Always wash your dark clothes inside out/cold water wash and rinse with a gentle fabric detergent.. Woolite works really well also, I add 1/2 c. baking soda to remove any residue... Hang or lay flat to dry.. good luck

• One of the biggest things that you can do is change your laundry detergent. Many detergents on the market contain optical brighteners, which make light clothes and colors look better, but make dark clothes look faded. There are detergents without optical brighteners, often marketed as detergent for dark colors, but most of the fragrance-free detergents also do not contain optical brighteners, and usually don't cost as much as the ones marketed as made for dark colors. Check the ingredients list- if it contains brighteners, don't use it on your darks.

Washing Colors Without Bleeding

To set colors in colored items, soak them for an hour in a mix of 1/2 cup vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon of salt, and 1/2 gallon of water. If the rinse water shows color after an hour, repeat the process. Use this technique only for single-colored items, because multi-colored items may bleed into each other. Multicolored items will likely need to be dry-cleaned. =)

I always wash in cold and turn them wrong side out.When I dry them I dry for a while(get wrinkles out),then air dry to help the color.

Wool Wash works for me.

Source(s): I get it from Dollar Tree so its cheap yet effective :)

Wool-lite for dark colors works well

• woolite- wool lite - i don't know how to spell it... but it really stops the fade

wash in cold water with like colors and woolite.