Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)Italian Football (Soccer) · 1 decade ago

Is it sad that Roberto Baggio and Maldini never won a World Cup with Italy?

Roberto Baggio who was named the fourth best player in history by Fifa never got his hand on the trophy and the same with the great legend Maldini.

I respect Maldini alot because of his loyalty for AC Milan and Roberto Baggio for idolizing the Italian Football.

FORZA MILAN

Favorite Answer

I know, isn't it a shame? :(

Both of them changed Italian football. They've both had illustrious careers with the Nazionale. The only thing missing was the WC...oh that dreaded penalty kick!!! Both of them are so classy on the pitch and they're great people in general as well I'm sure. Thats the reason I think why Roby Baggio and Paolo Maldini are respected by footy fans everywhere. The two of them really deserved to get a taste of WC victory, along with several other great players as well.

It's too bad. Sometimes you have to be in the right place at the right time. Christian Zaccardo has a gold medal and Maldini doesn't lol. Maldini and Baggio were like the Michael Jordans to me when I was growing up. Lets not forget about Franco Baresi and others from the 94 squad. Baggio scored important goals to bring Italy to the final in 94 and even if he had made his penalty brazil still could have won by scoring their next pk. Good question.

Yes it's very sad that two amazing players have never won a world cup , I'll never forget when Baggio missed the penalty shot in 1994 I was crying because I felt so bad for him. Baggio is my idol and Maldini is also one of my favourites.

They've both contributed so much to Italian soccer!!

• mp01

More for baggio than Maldini i think. Maldini's 5th Champions League title would compensate for not winning the world cup. I also feel winning a world cup is very rare that it shouldn't be expected and by not winning your career should be deemed incomplete

Both these players will be remembered as greats in the future more than Italian World Cup Winners Mauro Camoranesi or Angelo Peruzzi who was the replacement keeper and didn't play

Forza Juve

Baggio is one of the most classy players ever. It is really sad.That penalty miss in USA94. Maldini is the third best sweeper behind becanbaur and carlos albetro.Where did you find that he is 4th best player in history?

FORZA MILAN

Terribly sad for both of them. And for that entire 94 squad too. They could have won that cup, but Sacchi (and I know you're a Milan fan, but hear me out :) ham stringed that team. He would mess with their heads during the matches. He subs Baggio, after Pagliuca got ejected; hardly used Zola; he ridiculed, alienated and left off the team Vialli (perhaps the best Italian striker of that era); and also smashed into pieces Signori's honor. I'm amazed that team made it to the final, frankly. They almost didn't, but thanks to Baggio's magic w/Nigeria, Italy advanced. So yes, it's absolutely heartbreaking, but I blame Sacchi. And as far as the PKs in the final: why the hell was a tired, injured and worn-out Baresi taking a PK to begin with??? Again, Mr. Sacchi, testa di ca.... ;o) - ciao.

damn yes

It has been several months since I thought of Baggio missing that penalty. It brought tears to my eyes in 1994 and still does. He deserved better especially with his penalty taking record.

Maldini has many Serie A wins with his first love Milan. I think that these wins are more important to him but he deserved a WC cup.

Ya it sucks, and they had good squads too. They did make it to the finals against Brazil. I would put the 94 team against the 06 team, I felt they were that good. If it wasn't for a couple of lousy shots in the shootout we would have 5 stars.

Michel Platini isnt Italian, hes French.

Also, Maldini deserved to play in the fifa worldcup more than any of the Italian players even Totti.

The players great, hes loyal, & it's sad he couldnt help gain the title for his country.

FORZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

MALDINIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

really sad...n esp for maldini, whos played for italy for so long n would definitely be selected into the swaud if he didnt retire from international football