Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians: Why wont there be oceans on the New Earth?

Revelations 21:1

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.

Favorite Answer

Remember that Revelations was given to John via signs...the Bible often spoke of man kind as a sea. The Bible called wicked men being like the sea being tossed (Isaiah 57:20)

Revelations 13:1-2 talks about the beast coming out of the sea. as does Daniel in Chapter 7

And Revelation 17: 1 it speaks of a great harlot that sits upon many waters...and at verse 15 it explains that the waters mean people of all nations (not all the people but just people from all nations)...So when it says no sea...it means no wicked men.

The “sea” translates throughout Revelation as “waters”:

And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest…are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.” (See Revelation 17:15.)

So the “sea” represents the societies of humankind, or the peoples of the world, not literal oceans.

John’s presentation here is not a physical transformation of the earth, but a spiritual one.

It can be said that when we learn truth, we experience new thoughts and ideas that enlighten our minds to a whole new world. As a new understanding of God and His mysteries are revealed to us (truth/“new heavens”), we will begin to create a literal heaven on earth (“new earth”).

I don't see why anyone would really care to know this, as having no oceans will hardly be anyone's problem at this point in time... but on with the question...

I don't know. I suppose it's not drastically important.

• ?

Not sure. I know there will be a crystal clear lake.

So you won't drown!