guilty,not guilty,& innocent......?

what does each one mean cause im REALLY confused when i watch news broadcasts and they (news reporters) say those things...... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-P

Update:

i mean when u plead these things what do u mean?!!?!?!?!?!?

sorry about the confusion ;-P

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Guilty - the jury think you did it

Not guilty - the jury don't think you did it OR they have reasonable doubts that you did it

Innocent - you did not do it

Guilty and not guilty are verdicts in court. Not guilty is not, in judicial terms, the same is innocent. It just means that the jury were not sure beyond reasonable doubt of the person's guilt.

It might interest you to know that in Scotland, there are 3 possible verdicts that a jury can reach: Guily, Not Guilty and Not Proven. Not Proven is a very unpopular verdict on both sides as it has come to be informally understood to mean "We think you did it but there wasn't enough proof". A Not Proven verdict is an acquittal and the person cannot be tried for the same offence again but it is generally considered that they carry at cloud of suspicion for evermore. Whenever someone is found "Not Proven" there is a renewed debate about it in which someone always points out that the a more logical solution would be to have two verdicts: Proven (e.g. Guilty) and Not Proven (Not Guilty). It hasn't happened yet, though.

• 1 decade ago

Guilty = determined to have committed an offense/crime

Not Guilty = determined to have not committed an offense/crime

Innocent = erroneous term used by reporters... no one is determined to be innocent; everything is done in terms of guilty or not guilty.

• Love.
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

look it up on dictionary.com

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i agree with you/

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.