Why I left Christianity and became Muslim?

Since a few people have asked why I reverted (converted) to Islam, this is why:

I was Christian growing up. My mom made me go to church every Sunday and we had to dress up and I hated every moment it. I remember my mom shopping for expensive clothes at Neiman Marcus and buying fancy shoes and hats. Church became a fashion show and there was always drama going on. Those people called themselves Christians? They were always talking smack about each other, the pastor always wanted a raise, and they were not acting very "Christian-like", so slowly I started to fall away from the Baptist church in my early teens. In my young opinion, the church wasn't about serving God. It was about who had the nicest clothes, the prettiest hair, and the newest, most expensive car. None of which I cared about. None of that stuff is going with us when we die, so why do people spend so much time drooling and obsessing over it?

During this period in my life I didn't have a church home, but I never lost my faith in God.

At about the age of 19, I converted to the LDS (Mormon) faith. I loved the people, the churches were nice and simple, the people were sweet, and there wasn't a fashion show going on. I could go to church in nice comfortable clothes without worrying about not having the fanciest outfit. Anyways, I started to fall away again. It had to do with the temple and being "temple-worthy". I am a good person, I'm a single mom and I raise my little girl by myself. I give to charity, I help out fellow brothers and sisters in need, but I didn't go to church regularly, and being a poor student I didn't pay tithes. I felt like I would never become temple-worthy. The temple, if you don't know, is used for sealing families together for eternity, eternal marriages, and other things. Anyways, I started to realize there is a hierarchy in churches that I disagree with.

The bishop decides if you are temple-worthy or not. So some people are temple worthy and some are not. Or some appear temple-worthy and really aren't, or some are temple-worthy in God's eyes but not in the eyes of the bishop. My thought is that God should be the only one judging people, not other people.

I started doing research on Islam and the beliefs and principles and I found that I already shared those beliefs on my own, so Islam feels like a natural fit for me. All people are equal and stand before the one and only god, Allah. No one is better than anyone else and only Allah knows who is worthy or not. I am happy with my choice to follow the Muslim faith. I have never felt so at peace in my life before now. Unlike Christian churches, Islam is not tailored to meet the lifestyle of Muslims, but rather the other way around. Your lifestyle is centered around Islam and your service to Allah. Throughout history Christianity has been changed to suit the needs of a group of people.

The Bible says not to eat pork and just about every Christian I know eats pork because, "that only applied to those people back then, not us". I just like the idea that Islam has retained the original message of God throughout history. I am also glad Allah has led me back to him on the right path. I'm finally at peace alhamdulillah and my search for the truth has ended. My life has been forever changed, as well as that of my little girl's.

The pork thing and other food regulations are found in the Bible in Deuteronomy 14.

To the person who called me stupid: Just because you are uneducated about Islam and you feel Islam is not for you doesn't make me stupid. I'll pray for you and all the other non- believers. I will not go back to Christianity.

I did not throw Jesus out, Muslims believe in Jesus Christ.

Favorite Answer

Okay I am not really sure what your question is but, I thought that I might be able to give you some comforting words. I was raised in a Methodist household and just like you we went to church on Sundays all dressed up. I will say that the Methodist are very open and I do respect the way they worship, I do not feel that it is a sin to be gay, or to have a child out of wedlock ect..Some other religions really frown upon this but; I was impressed even as a kid at how "open" and "accepting" the Methodist were/are. However I never really felt close to "God" and I never really felt that the sermons were directed at me or helped me with some of life’s decisions. Then when I was about 17 I had the chance to stay with a women who was from China, she was a Buddhist. I am an open person and I love to learn about different cultures, religions ect... so I went with her one day to the Temple for meditation and some prayer. I was amazed, suddenly I found myself at peace, for the first time I found a place that I fit in, I found a place that had values like me, that had beliefs, like me and that accepted all that were willing to learn the teachings of Buddha. The great thing that I found was that I could live as a Buddhist, I didn't have to go to church I could read and understand his teachings; I could meditate and give prayer from home. For the first time I felt complete, and it was all from a religion that is older than Christianity. I have learned so much from the teachings of Buddha I have become a better person and I have found that the afterlife (reincarnation to Buddhist) is not scary but yet a time to rejoice and be reborn. I have taken a new out look on life. When I get mad at people I used to yell, scream or think hateful thoughts, now all I do is wish them nothing but good. Buddha taught me that, he also teaches tolerance, acceptance, and a understanding that ALL life (not just humans) are worthy.

It took my family a while to accept the fact that I did not believe in their "God" but, in my eyes we all worship the same "God" it is just how you worship him that is different. Some call him God, some call him Buddha, some call him Allah but in reality I believe it is the FAITH that is important. I do not look down at other religions I believe that each person must fine a religion that fits them, that they can believe in, that they can understand and use to better fulfill their life. I think it is great that you found one that gives you comfort, strength, and wisdom. Since I have left the Christian church my family has made an effort to at least learn the little things of Buddhism and now they understand why I chose it, why it fits me and why I am very comfortable with my faith. Even my boyfriend, who is Catholic, understands and respects my beliefs. We have lived together 7 years and it works just fine. People think we are crazy when they find out about the two different religions in the house, when they make comments he tells them look this works for me and that works for her, we are happy and understand how much each others faith is important. Stay strong, follow your beliefs, if your friends and family come around great if not oh well they should love you for you and if your religion is a big part of you while they might not agree with it they still can love you and be happy for you that you found what you needed in your life.

Hold true to your beliefs, don't be ashamed of your religion, and stand proud and tall because you know that you have strong faith and that Allah will be there for you, just like Buddha will always be there for me. I hope this gives you a little hope, and I hope that you see other "Christians" have also found new religions. There is nothing wrong with leaving a church, in the end you must do what is best for you! I have a friend whose father is a minister, she took the time to learn about my faith and one day said to me "you know our religions are not that different after all." Sweet music to my ears because no our religions are not that different it just depends on your label of "God" and how you practice the values and teachings of your religion. Good luck on your journey of self discovery, and remember always be proud of your faith.

I Left Christianity

• Alhamdulillah you have seen the light..

I respect you very much for this..

I never hate Christianity, I respect it as it has the same Abrahamaic faith serving One God..

I just think there are flaws in it. The original pristine message in the Bible from God is gone. The Bible has gone through various translations and later human additions. The old version of the Bible is different from today. And yes I agree, The Bible states that pork is forbidden. But still, my Christian teacher once said to my class that pork was yummy when we were discussing something. If God was to specify the Bible to the people back then, why did He go through the hassle to reveal the Bible? The message is for the whole mankind forever. And I have read some parts of the Bible contradict with each other. Why would there be contradiction in the Bible when God Himself is Almighty and Knows what He reveals? Why would there be additions to the Bible when it was already complete?

And I once went into the St. Peters in Rome just to see how the Christians worship. Many people go in there, and I was suprised and afraid of what I saw. Statues of pevious popes were everywhere. If you were to love Jesus Christ, then why do you have to love the pope? The pope was also human and he didn't even receive any divine revelations.

To me, I was born Muslim. And I have been comfortable with Islam all my life. Just look, Muslims in YA give positive answers and never answer in a rude tone unless it really offends him/her. But look at how some people answer your question. Everyone is free to choose their own faith and why are there some Christians here accusing you of throwing Jesus Christ?

Islam is the true straight path.

May Allah guide us all..

why should you stop believing in him... We muslims revere and respect Jesus as one of the greatest Prophets ever walked on earth.. We even have a whole verse in the Quran of his mother Mary.. I dont think Christians realize this... We dont worship him as God or son of God, but we are taught that he is a true prophet and his original message the Injeel was the truth.. but what you read in the bible today is not what Jesus actually said.. its been written down 200years after his death and mostly reworded by Paul who started out as a pagan afterall and interpolated a lot of pagan ideals into true Christianity... We also believe Jesus didnt die on the cross, but was raised to heaven in full form and is awaiting his time and will be sent back to earth to lead all the believers (no matter what religioun you are) back to the truth.. he will live a long happy life, marry, have children and die a normal death in the end...

Congratulations!

No trebor that is not true at all. For God sake do some reading. And as far as Assembly of God churches they rank amongst the worst. Having been raised in one, yes, I speak from experience of 25 years. It was a fashion show and popularity contest. The colleges are even worse.

Was there a question or just a dialogue to explain your choice? I admire you for your conviction. I am surprised that you had such a negative experience with the LDS faith. Perhaps negative isn't the best word, but I have never had the sense that the Bishop gets to decide who goes the the temple. Rather the Lord has set up guidelines. If those who attend the temple aren't worthy to enter it is all on them and I applaud those with the integrity and faith to be honest about it even if it is a difficult thing.

Either way, I know little to nothing about the Muslim faith outside of the extremists. I am intrigued by it though. God Bless you or Allah if you will. I can never think ill of a person seeking spiritual fulfillment. Best wishes

WA SALAAM ALAIKUM YOUR STORY SOUNDS MUCH LIKE MY OWN I NEVER FIT IN ANYWHERE IN ANY OF THE CHURCHES THEY ALL LEFT A VOID FOR ME PERSONALLY. I WAS A TEEN NIGHTMARE ON TEEN NIGHT BECAUSE I HAD QUESTIONS THEY COULD NOT ANSWER. SO WHEN I FOUND ISLAM THE MORE I LEARNED THE MORE I KNEW I WAS HOME LIKE YOU I AM A SINGLE MOM NOW I HAD TO CHOSE BETWEEN BEING A MUSLIM AND LIVING WITH A MAN EVEN THOUGH WE NO LONGER HAD SHARED A ROOM FOR MANY YEARS AND HIM. IT WAS AN EASY CHOICE. I NOW AM AT HOME IN MY HEART AND MY CHILDREN ARE MUCH MORE LIKELY TO HAVE BETTER MORALS THAN IF I HAD STAYED WITH THIER FATHER. HIS FAMILY HAS A TENDANCY TO FIGHT AMONGST THEMSELVES AND DRESS WELL IN BELTS FOR GIRLS SO I SEE MYSELF AS HAVING SAVED US ALL FROM SUCH A LIFE. jUST COULDN'T HELP POSTING TO SOMEONE WHO HAS BEEN IN MY SHOES DOESN'T HAPPEN OFTEN. SALAAM WA-NOR

PLEASE FORGIVE SPELLING ERRORS MY READER IS NOT WORKING WELL TONIGHT

that is my sister some people not all just like everthing else there are some good workers and bad workers on jobs

the point is God's Word is true God does have some real Christian people im one on them just because you had a bad experience you threw Christianty away thats wrong!!!

if you went to the store and bought a bag of apples would you throw the whole bag away because of one bad apple No!!

You got to keep your eyes on God and Gods Word NOT PEOPLE so many people leave Christiananity because bad people THATS WRONG stay with God my sister Muslim is not the way!!! JOHN 14 :6 says 'JESUS SAID IM THE WAY THE TRUTH AND THE LIFE" please return back to the Lord GOD BLESS YOU

I am sorry for you and for all people who are so concerned with "which religion?". I was among you/them. After 15 years of learning about religions (Islam included) I understood: THE TRUE FAITH IS IN OUR HEARTS/CORES. (If you are muslem, please try and keep in touch with Soufism, too). You believe in God, The Light, "The Sun" of all of Us: I wish you to find It inside of you, too! (REALLY GREAT EXPERIENCE).

• 36

all praises be to God!

being open minded and made comparative study of religion means you're not stupid.

may God reward you! jaza kallahu khair