what does the gear ratio mean on a fishing rod if its 3.4:1?

Favorite Answer

Like they all said, it means that the spool turns 3.4 times for every turn of the handle -- or in the case of a spinning reel, the bail rotates 3.4 times for each turn.

This is a pretty slow ratio for a freshwater reel, but for a medium/large saltwater reel (a 4/0 or 6/0 size reel like a Penn 113 or 114), it's just fine. That is, a reel you'd fill with 50 pound or heavier line for fishing for big tuna, marlin, or sharks. With these reels, the spool is so large you still get about a foot of line for each spool rotation, or three feet for each turn of the crank, even with the "slow" gear ratio.

The biggest saltwater reels are available as 2-speed models, which you can switch between about a 3:1 ratio and something around 1.2:1 or so. This really helps when you need to gain line on a huge fish.

But even for fishing in the salt with line up to 30 pound test, I'd suggest a reel with a 5:1 ratio, and on my smaller 20-pound and lighter reels, I have a 6:1 ratio.

By the way, a "rod" is a long thin piece of fiberglass or graphite or something. It doesn't have any gears. The "reel" has the gear ratio.

Source(s): 30 years saltwater fishing

I agree with most of the previous answers. Sometimes I find it hard to slow down my reeling and my older 3.4's outperform my faster retrieve reels with some slow action lures. The number of inches of line retrieved per turn of the reel handle is the difference. When burning a buzzbait the 5. and 6. will outperform the slower 3.4, and you won't tire as quickly.

Jazbac had it correct. Plus, naturally the higher the ratio, the faster your retrieve will be for each turn of the handle.

Just like jazbac said. All my reels have a 6.1.1 ratio. You'll be way better off if you can get another reel/s with a higher ratio.

Articles About Fishing Rods***Theres a very good site that covers all aspects of fishing, including articles on fishing rods. By the way, http://www.fishinginformationguide.com/equipment is one of the few sites on the web where their articles are also in audio!

it means that the spool rotates 3.4 rotations per 1 handle turn.

It means how many times the spool rotates for every time you turn the handle.

jazbac beat me to it. Thats not a very good ratio, though. All of mine are 5.3:1