How much milk should an almost 4 week old boy be drinking?

He drinks nothing but breastmilk sometimes from me and sometimes I pump and put it in a bottle. When I put it in a bottle he usually takes about 4-5ounces. That's seems like a bit much for his age. My daughter didn't get to that much until she was about 4 months maybe a little older. Is he drinking too much? He was kind of a small baby weighed 6lbs 15oz. What do you think??

Favorite Answer

as my pediatrcian told me, if he wants it give it to him. he's too young at this time to "want" what he does not need. babies all have diferent growth spurts and my son would drink like crazy for a week and then subside. he's marter than you realize!!

He is probably going through a growth

spirt! Reguardless, every baby eats at

their own pace. My daughter ate 2 oz's

a feeding until she was 2 months and my

son was eating 3-4ozs a feeding where-as

my friends son came home from the hospital

eating 6 ozs and now eats 8ozs at 4 weeks!!

Every baby is different, just let him decide

what he wants/needs!! I'm sure everythings

perfect, and good job on the breastfeeding!!

Source(s): mom of two

Don't they say generally to feed on demand at this age until 6 weeks. I think the baby knows when its hungry. Is he gaining too much weight? If he is in a healthy percentile then I would say give him what he wants. Although, I remember my boys only had about 2-3 oz per feeding. The dr. said their stomach is as big as his fist. What do you think would fill that up?

Check out below, also there is an infant stomach size chart on that page and it says at about a month infants can take 2.5-5 oz per feeding.

BUT some breastfed babies can not control how much they take from a bottle and will be forced to overeat. Make sure you are using the slowest nipple possible, and burp every 2 oz. You also might want to take a break after say 3 oz for 10 minutes to see if he really is still hungry. Also you may need to use a different method of feeding aside from a bottle.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

How much milk do babies need?

Many mothers wonder how much expressed breastmilk they need to have available if they are away from baby.

In exclusively breastfed babies, milk intake increases quickly during the first few weeks of life, then stays about the same

between one and six months (though it likely increases short term during growth spurts). Current breastfeeding research does not indicate that breastmilk intake changes with baby's age or weight between one and six months. After six months, breastmilk intake will continue at this same level until -- sometime after six months, depending in baby's intake from other foods -- baby's milk intake begins to decrease gradually (see below).

The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day).

We can use this information to estimate the average amount of milk baby will need at a feeding:

* Estimate the number of times that baby nurses per day (24 hours).

* Then divide 25 oz by the number of nursings.

* This gives you a "ballpark" figure for the amount of expressed milk your exclusively breastfed baby will need at one feeding.

Example: If baby usually nurses around 8 times per day, you can guess that baby might need around 3 ounces per feeding when mom is away. (25/8=3.1).

Source(s): "First, consider the possibility that baby is being overfed when you're apart. If this is the case, you may actually not need to be expressing as much milk as is being requested. This is certainly not always the case, but it is not at all uncommon. " http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decreas... http://www.mother-2-mother.com/cc-baby-B.htm#Fussi... When the bottle goes in the baby's mouth the mouth fills with milk, the baby is obligated to swallow and the action of swallowing initiates another suck. The suck again fills the mouth and the cycle repeats, giving an appearance of the baby "gulping the bottle down hungrily". This of course only contributes to mom and dad's fear that the baby wasn't getting enough at the breast and they keep offering more and more bottles (understandably). Which then causes a true low milk supply. Often the baby falls asleep peacefully after this episode which also reinforces to the parents that the bottle was just what the baby needed. What has really happened is the baby has by coincidence come to the natural conclusion of the fussy spell (most parents give the bottle as a last resort which means the fussiness has been going on for awhile) and/or the baby has withdrawn because "gulping" down the bottle was actually stressful and NOT what the baby wanted but she could not stop the flow, so exhausted, she falls asleep. So don't offer bottles during any fussy time.

My daughters doctor told me to let her eat as much as she wants. He said to fix an oz. extra to what she's already been eating. So if he's eating between 4-5 oz fix 6 and he should let you know when he's full. I was worried about over feeding her but the doctor said she would let me know when she was done and she did so I guess he knew what he was talking about. Maybe the little guy is just real hungry lol...hope this helps.

My son consumed about that amount at 4 wks . I think he had about 24 oz a day. I could be wrong on that because it's been 4 yrs but I do very vividly remember him eating 4 or 5 oz in one feeding and I thought it was alot too, but his pediatrician didn't seem concerned.

id suggest try just feeding him 3 ounces and then take it from there. My son is 8 weeks old and I feed him about 3 to 5 ounces every 2 to 3 hours and hes 11 pounds now. (he was 6 lbs 1 oz when born)

my daughter had that much at that age...she went from 2 oz to 4 oz in a short period of time. also, it is 5 weeks later and she takes 8 oz on occasion. as long as they are satified and not constantly feeding than it is probably fine! also, if you think he is overeating, try a pacifier! it works between feeding when they just want to suck!

I think about 4 oz. is a good amount.....he just has a good appetite. I was feeding my boys cereal at 6 weeks because they were still hungry

that is fine wateve he wants he knows his limit my son was dinking up to 7 oz!