Namename asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dachshund puppies?

I was thinking of buying a puppy from a breeder, but she was selling them when they were only 7 weeks old. Is that too young to be taken away from their mothers? They were really small and not very interactive.

Favorite Answer

This is too young to let the puppies go. It's a much easier transition at 10-12 weeks (for puppy and owner). Many say 8 weeks is ok; however, I feel 8 is still a little early. I have researched breeders in my area for months, and the puppy I will pick up next week is 14 weeks old. The breeder I found to be most reputable does not let hers go until 12 weeks.

YES! That is too young of an age to seperate a puppy and his mother apart. At least wait for 8-10 weeks of age. If you take a puppy away from it's mother earlier, then, they can have a bad behavior when they are older.

Always check local shelters before purchasing from a breeder. Nearly 50% of all shelter dogs are purebred, and dachshunds are quite common. You can also google "dachshund rescue" to find a rescue in your area dealing with that particular breed

Source(s): 2 years volunteer experience at my local Humane Society

7 weeks is about the age that they go to their new homes. Don't get a puppy that is not active with you or the others. Stay away from puppy mills too (if they have more then 2 litters of puppies at a time it's a puppy mill)

At the very earliest the pups should be taken from their mum is 8 weeks, are you sure the breeder wasn't maybe just accepting orders then ready for pick up at 8 weeks?

If not then I would not buy from her.

Why not go to a rescue centre :)

I think you already know the answer. No good breeder would take them that early.

• Katie

IDK But I have a 6 wk. old puppy that is very interactive and is a Miniature Dachshund.