Namename asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Dachshund puppies?

I was thinking of buying a puppy from a breeder, but she was selling them when they were only 7 weeks old. Is that too young to be taken away from their mothers? They were really small and not very interactive.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This is too young to let the puppies go. It's a much easier transition at 10-12 weeks (for puppy and owner). Many say 8 weeks is ok; however, I feel 8 is still a little early. I have researched breeders in my area for months, and the puppy I will pick up next week is 14 weeks old. The breeder I found to be most reputable does not let hers go until 12 weeks.

• 1 decade ago

YES! That is too young of an age to seperate a puppy and his mother apart. At least wait for 8-10 weeks of age. If you take a puppy away from it's mother earlier, then, they can have a bad behavior when they are older.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Always check local shelters before purchasing from a breeder. Nearly 50% of all shelter dogs are purebred, and dachshunds are quite common. You can also google "dachshund rescue" to find a rescue in your area dealing with that particular breed

Source(s): 2 years volunteer experience at my local Humane Society
  • 1 decade ago

7 weeks is about the age that they go to their new homes. Don't get a puppy that is not active with you or the others. Stay away from puppy mills too (if they have more then 2 litters of puppies at a time it's a puppy mill)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

At the very earliest the pups should be taken from their mum is 8 weeks, are you sure the breeder wasn't maybe just accepting orders then ready for pick up at 8 weeks?

If not then I would not buy from her.

Why not go to a rescue centre :)

• 1 decade ago

I think you already know the answer. No good breeder would take them that early.

• Katie
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

IDK But I have a 6 wk. old puppy that is very interactive and is a Miniature Dachshund.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.