Daughter's great,great grandmother was a full blooded Cherokee Indian does she qualify for any funding for ed?

I'm trying to get her tutoring at Sylvan Learning Center and they said some of their kids that are from an Indian descent get funded for education. Help . Tutoring is $42/hour.

Favorite Answer

You have to be enrolled in a tribe to receive any funds. If your daughter's great great grandmother was enrolled (has a Certificate of Degree of Indian Blood) as Cherokee then it should be easy to prove descent. If not, then you have to look on the Dawes rolls and find your ancestor.

I don't believe the the Cherokees, or any tribe, will pay for tutoring. It depends on each tribe's education department programs and the amount of funding they receive.

Source(s): I'm enrolled Comanche

Can you help me fill in some blanks to see just how much the indian blood has been diluted... that could play a factor. I know that for some African American grants if your great great grandmother (i think that's like three generations right there) was black but everyone else was white...you aren't eligible because...

You have to be on official tribal records and have documentation for people and or companies and foundations to recognize it. My grand mother was a "full blooded" Cherokee, my grand father was black feet and Cherokee and my father was Cherokee and black. It's said that you are what your mother is. Check out http://www.cherokee.org/

they are federally recognized so it should help and they are very helpful and get back to your inquires. Hope this helps.

She probably qualifies. I think you only have to be something like 1/16 or 1/32 (or maybe even less) Indian to qualify. Just try it and see what happens.

Your daughter must be able to PROVE her Cherokee heritage.

i think that if you can prove it, u can use it.

hint. it also helps when she gets to college for grants.