Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 1 decade ago

Car amp and Subwoofer hookup?

I currently have 2 rockford punches and a 1000 watt amp hooked up with guage wire that only allows 1000 amps. I want to hook up 2 more subwoofers with a 600 watt amp but dont know weather to run new cables or what, and i only have a 100 amp alternator so will i need an acesory battery?

Update:

It's 8 guage wire.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A second battery is never a good idea as it's an added strain on the alternator to charge two batteries AND supply power for the car. The ONLY time a second battery is useful is if the audio system is to be used with the car off.

If your total system power is 1000 watts RMS or more, you will need to:

1. Upgrade the alternator to a high output alternator

2. Upgrade to a heavy duty deep cycle battery

3. Upgrade the "Big 3" - that is to replace the power wire between the battery and alternator, the ground from the battery to the chassis and the ground strap from the engine/tranny to the chassis with at least 1/0 AWG wire.

Failure to do this will result in you replacing them anyway as the alternator will eventually fail.

Here is a guide that will calculate what size alternator and power wires you need http://www.datafilehost.com/download.php?file=6d26...

You'll need Microsft Excel to use it.

See my site for more info http://spkrbox1.spaces.live.com/

Source(s): A.A.S. degree in Electronics/Industrial Electronics with 25 years in the mobile audio/consumer electronics field
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Amps times volts equals watts. Thus, 1600 watts divided by 12 volts equals 133 amps. That's just to run your two amps, with nothing else on in the car. Now, the 1600 watts is sound output. You may wish to contact the manufacturer for the actuall current draw at max output. If it is actually 133 amps, then you need to add another alternator, battery, and use 4 gauge wiring to handle that much current. I'm thinking more like 60 amps max, thus an alternator upgrade to at least 130 amps and a backup battery would do.

• 1 decade ago

The wire Gage that he is probably using is 6. The more subs you hook up to that amp the less power they all will be getting. For example: You have 2 getting 400 watts each and add 2 more to this, they will only be getting 200 each. Try not to overload you amp. Make sure that you are sending out enough power to power all the subs and you should be fine. I would look into getting a alternator up grade, better battery, and or doing the big 3 upgrade.

• ?
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

they actually make skill invertors to alter your a/c houshold skill to a good 12 volt d/c voltage you could run your vehicle amplifier on. you could then the two run rca outs out of your stereo deck to the amp or connect the wires that are meant to bypass to the sub that got here with the living house theater gadget to the line point in on the amp. stable good fortune.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

What gauge is the wire?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.