WTF? I just found out today my my ex got a credit card in both our names & is trying to pin it on me...?

It is all gone $6500, and we are divorcing I'm not sure if he got it before I kicked him out or after. He has this week bought a $2000 car and everyone tells me all new clothes, plus plenty of money to party on. Because we are still married am I going to be responsible for HIS bill since he made it a point to put MY name on it without me knowing it? Now he is saying I did it and that he will take me to court to pay for it!

Favorite Answer

You live in a communitive property state. Sounds like you're in for a rough ride. I do have some thoughts, but I'll get back to you.

Lucky for you you got that $10 million today, eh?

Contact the credit card company a.s.a.p. and close the account. Yes, you can be held responsible for his debts. Ask them if there's still an original application; he must have forged your signature on it. Also, get your credit report NOW and go through it with a fine-toothed comb to make sure you know what every item and account on it is. Close ALL accounts you don't want to be associated with. It can really f*ck up your credit. Good luck.

First, press forgery/fraud charges with the local police.

Next, send the credit card company a certified letter (with return receipt and a copy of the police report) advising them that you never in any capacity gave permission for your name to be placed on said account, you only just now became aware that it existed, and that since you signed no contract with them you will not be responsible for any part of the balance owed.

Finally, if the above does not resolve it, get a lawyer.

I suggest going to speak with a lawyer. You may want to notify the credit card company of the situation as well. You are not the sole person on the card though, so he is partially responsible for paying the bill. It will effect both of you.

There should be a way for the credit card company to see who signed the application. If you didn't then I would say that you could make it where he had to pay for it. And, see about getting a statement for the judge to see who made all of the purchases.

Call the credit card company. Tell them that he forged your name. You did not sign any application. It is his word against yours and even if he signed your name when he charged these things or got someone else to sign your name, it is forgery. Tell him you have contacted a lawyer and he is going to be sued for forgery. You will be responsible if you do not prove he forged your name. Or if he asked for a second card in your name, which applications frequently asks for. You can win this.