Is anyone estranged from a parent?

Has anyone not talked to their family in years? Have you cut a person off for hurting you?

Favorite Answer

I have. But it is important to understand what you are doing and why you are cutting this person out, before making that final decision. After many years of struggling with my father, I finally decided that the only reason I kept letting him back in, was because I felt he needed to validate me in some way. I kept giving him "another chance" to make me feel what I wanted from him. Guess what? Never happened, never will. So I forgave him in my heart, learned to validate myself, and we have not spoken in years. I am fine with that, and feel I do not need anything from him. What is making you feel the need to cut this person out?

I have cut off somebody that has hurt my mother and me. He was my step father and he was the only father I really ever knew. After they had split aprat I had not seen him until the day I gave birth to his grandson. Well now it had been two years sents the last time I had seen him and about a moth ago he came by my house out of the blue. I will have to say I felt like crying and wanting to hit him all at the same time. I was mad at him for missing his grandson's birthdays,not calling. But the day he came by all my pint up hate for him was gone. I knew he still loved me and I knew that no matter how long it might be until the next time i might see him that he will all ways love me and his grandson.

Yes . I haven't talked to my parents in 7 years. For personal reasons of course. But it had to be done. And I think about them but do not regret my choice

• .

Yes, I haven't spoken to my father since 1983. He did a shiotty thing to my Mom/family and I decided I didn't need someone like that in my life.

Yes, my dad. But in the process his whole side of the family choose to ignore I existed as well.

yea my dad....dead beat....havent talked ti him in the past 4 years.

no. that's not a good thing. my aunty is really 2 faced but i always give her a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th.....chance.