Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

What's the best trick to battle a sore throat & runny nose?

Bah!

I hate being sick.

I've been drinking lots of water, taking my vitamins, drinking smoothies & eating hot soup. I still feel like somebody rubbed sandpaper all around my larynx.

My nose also wont stop running like a leaky faucet.

I've taken some IB Profen only twice, because it seems to lessen the pain in my throat, but I really hate taking anti-inflammatory meds because of the impact it has on the stomach's lining.

What do you do when in this situation? Anything I haven't tried yet.

Also, I'm gurgling periodically with salt water, like my Dr. said to do.

Favorite Answer

Robotusin or NyQuil Daytime

Make sure if you've got a sore throat not to have anything acidy, like tomato soup is really bad if your throat is sore. Try Natural yogart and swallow it slowly, its soothing, and the good bacteria fights the bad bacteria, and its good for you. You can get sudafed, that drys up your nose, or any of those sprays but if you don't want to do that, runny nose should go away once your system gets strong again, i always just liedown and cork my nose with tissue! You need to rest to get rid of a cold. Or try steam, its refreshing and kills bacteria, boil a pot of water and and breath in the steam, be careful not to get burned!!! Thats no fun if you're already not feeling great, get better soon :)

Source(s): me

The sore throat is most likely being caused by post nasal drip. Buy a homeopathis nasal spray for allergies/sinus problems. Or try taking an herbal remedy called HAS by Nature's Way. HAS stands for Hayfever, Allergy & Sinus. Keep drinking tons of water. Also warm water with a little lemon juice or apple cider vinegar and honey will soothe your throat.

Cinnamon dries up the sniffles.

Make a tea with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 cup boiling water. Steep 15 minutes, strain out the cinnamon, and drink.

Thyme:

Is Rich in germ-killing compounds, thyme has a long history as an expectorant and antiseptic. For an effective cough remedy, add 1 teaspoon dried thyme to 1 cup boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes, strain and drink.

**For Sore throats**: brew 2 teaspoons thyme in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes. Gargle, then spit.

If you haven't tried it yet, get some OTC Guaifenesin (generic name) syrups or tablets. These basically help you get rid of the mucus that makes your throat hurt. My guys in Iraq loved the brand name Mucinex. Also take some Pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) for the congestion and runny nose. You'll find that the combined effect will relieve most of your symptoms. Keep drinking a lot of water while taking these.

Hi Angie! Well, you can also take garlic pills which have a natural antibiotic in them called Allicin. That coupled with Goldenseal would fix you up pretty quickly, it will certainly take care of that runny nose. You take two of each pill to begin, then one pill of each four times a day, breakfast, lunch, dinner and bedtime for seven days. Also, to help your throat, take a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, (it will sting but it has natural antibacterial properties), try to hold it in the back of your throat as long as possible, and follow that with a teaspoon of honey. The honey will soothe the throat and help to heal it.

Hope you feel better soon!

Source(s): Personal experience. This is what I did for my kids when they were sick and it works wonders!

sounds to me like you're doing about all you can do. sounds like a nasty cold that you just need to sleep and liquify off!

keep drinking that water- depending on how your throat takes it, drink some orange juice.

gargling warm salt water is VERY good for you. keep up with that. try to get as much sleep as possible- have someone else help take care of you.

take a hot shower, try alternating between tylenol and ib profen, so your stomach doesn't get tore up.

get in bed with some comfy jammies and a good book or your favorite tv show/movie and just try to take it easy. your body just needs rest- so it sounds.

hope you feel better!

Zinc lozenges work great for sore throats. They can be really chalky and kind of hard to suck on too many, but they work on the throat and also, research has shown that zinc decreases the time that a person has a cold. The runny nose, though, I think you just have to deal with and appreciate that "bad stuff" is coming out of your system with the mucus out of your nose.

YOU CAN TRY THE FOLLOWING:

Take 1 pair of RG/GL daily for a month.

Reishi Gano (RG) is a kind of mushroom essence (Ganoderma lucidum) containing polysaccharide, adenosine, triterpenoids, protein and fibre. The Ganoderma lucidum used are harvested from a 90-day old red mushroom. Daily intake of Reishi Gano (RG) assists in the maintenance of general well-being.

Ganocelium (GL) contains Ganoderma lucidum. It is different from Reishi Gano (RG) that the Ganoderma lucidum used are harvested from a 18-day old Mycelium of Ganoderma lucidum. The mycelium are rich in polysaccharides, adenosine, organic germanium, triterpenes, vitamins, minerals, and essential fatty acids. It has excellent effect in improving the general well-being.

My son had tried this and doesn't experienced runny nose again.

Get well soon!

DENS : - )

Drink some hot tea with honey and lemon in it.

Another great trick isclosing the bathroom door and turning on the shower with just the hot water. The steam really helps.

There's an amazing product known as Sambucol(elcerberry syrup) created by a renowned virologist.

It's amazing!

Taken at the first sign of a cold or fever, and you'll be good as new in a couple days.

Works that great on my kids.

I always keep extra bottles in my house.

Read more about it here:

http://www.mothernature.com/shop/detail.cfm/sku/88...